MUPLUS+   Join Plus+ and get exclusive shows and extensions! Subscribe Today! LEARN MORE  


Advertise here now!


Mountain of the Dead: The Dyatlov Pass Incident

One of the most bizarre, not to mention flat out terrifying, mysteries of the modern age concerns the enigmatic deaths of nine Russian mountaineers whose cross-country skiing trip ended in a tragedy so ghastly and perplexing that it has mystified experts for over half a century.

Excursions into nature can be serene for some and exhilarating for others, but for an unfortunate few these sojourns into the untouched wilds of our world can be tragic. Still other such journeys into the unknown end in such unfathomably frightening circumstances that they become the stuff of legend. Such is the destiny that befell nine ill-fated skiing enthusiasts in the late 1950s.

Unlike so many of the most intriguing mysteries of the 20th Century — including the fate of the crew of the Ourang Medan or the whereabouts of the missing Anjikuni Villagers of Canada — What makes the so-called “Dyatlov Pass Incident” so fascinating is the fact that there is absolutely no doubt that these events actually occurred… and dreadfully little doubt that one of the last sensations experienced by these poor souls was one of abject terror.

The proof of this tragedy exists not only in the plethora of photographs that have been preserved, but also in the extensive records (many of which are still allegedly classified) of the Soviet military who investigated the odd case and were manifestly unable to reach any definitive conclusions despite an overwhelming amount of physical evidence. In fact, the investigators tasked with solving this case were eventually forced to attribute the whole peculiar affair to: “a compelling unknown force.”

But, before we go any further; like any good mystery we must begin at the beginning…


On January 25, 1959, one ski instructor, three engineers and seven students from the former Soviet Union’s Ural Polytechnic Institute, located in the city then known as Sverdlovsk, boarded a train and embarked on a journey to the nearby Otorten Mountain range, which is nestled in the northern Urals, for a strenuous cross-country skiing expedition.

The leader of the excursion was an enthusiastic 23 year-old by the name of Igor Dyatlov — for whom the notorious Pass would eventually be named — who had assembled a crack team of male and female skiers with the intention that this arduous trip would serve as a training exercise for a future expedition to the more difficult and treacherous Arctic regions.

As the group of seasoned skiers left the train station and hopped a truck headed toward their very own “Alpine in the Urals,” one of the team members, Yury Yudin, fell ill and was forced to remain behind at the settlement of Vizhai, which was the last outpost before the Otorten range.

Yudin hugged his comrades goodbye and with envy watched them leave… scarcely could he imagine at the time that he would the lucky one.

Later in life Yudin would claim that the one thing that had haunted him the most over the years was not being able to discover what kind of diabolical force stole the lives of his friends; a fate he would have shared were it not for his unexpected illness. According to Yudin:

 “If I had a chance to ask God just one question, it would be, ‘What really happened to my friends that night?’”

Two day after embarking on their adventure, the nine remaining athletes — including engineers Rustem Slobodin, Georgyi Krivonischenko and Nicolas Thibeaux-Brignollel, as well as students Yuri Doroshenko, Zinaida Kolmogorova, Lyudmila Dubinina and ski instructor and guide, Alexander Zolotarev — all followed Dyatlov toward the first stop on their long and grueling journey, the Gora Otorten mountain.

The date was January 28, 1959. The team would never make it to their destination… and none of them would ever be seen alive again.


On February 11, 1959, The Dyatlov Ski Team was supposed to arrive in Vizhai. Among their first orders of business, following a hot meal and a stiff drink, were to send their loved ones telegrams announcing the success of their mission.

When no telegrams were received, most of the team’s family members were not concerned, realizing that journeys like this rarely end on schedule, but when over a week went by with no word from the skiers, their relatives began to demand that the Ural Polytechnic Institute organize a search and rescue operation, which they did posthaste.

Within days it became clear that the institute’s ground based initiative would not be able to produce any results on their own and that was when both military and civilian authorities got involved in the search.  Military planes and helicopters were swiftly dispatched to the area and it was on February 25, that a pilot first spotted something curious on a mountainside below.


The next day the search party — including fellow Polytechnic student Mikhail Sharavin — made their way up to an abandoned encampment on the eastern slope of a mountain listed as “1079.”

The foreboding peak is better known to the indigenous Mansi tribesmen as “Kholat Syakhl,” which (prophetically perhaps) translates from their native tongue as the “Mountain of the Dead.”

The would-be rescuers discovered a badly damaged tent and a plethora of footprints made by what appeared to be at least eight different people radiating out from the devastated tent. Sharavin then described the state of the large tent that the skiers all shared:

“We discovered that the tent was half torn down and covered with snow. It was empty, and all the group’s belongings and shoes had been left behind.”

The search party members quickly realized that the tracks consisted of either bare or sock clad feet and, in one case, a single shoe. Two sets of prints led down a slope toward a densely forested area, but the tracks were covered by snow roughly 1,500 feet away from the tent.

Sharavin followed the trail and found the remains of a fire beneath a looming, ancient pine… and with it something much worse.

Near the long dead fire were the frozen remains of team members Doroshenko and Krivonischenko. The searchers noted with utter bewilderment that even though the men were well within range of the now ravaged tent both men were naked and shoeless, save for their underwear. The investigators also saw that the branches of the old pine had been snapped off up to a height of almost 15-feet.

Forensic tests later confirmed that traces of skin were found embedded in the bark, indicating that the pair had frantically attempted to climb the tree, snapping off branches until their hands were mass of pulpy flesh.

At this point the searchers no doubt began to wonder what manner of “beast” could scare these men so much that they abandoned their clothes, despite the freezing cold, and tore the skin from their palms in a desperate attempt to get to safety. The fact that there were no evident animal tracks and that they had the time to try and start a fire, combined with the fact that the bodies of the men remained untouched only heighted the searchers puzzlement.

Not long after the party found the bodies of Doroshenko and Krivonischenko, they stumbled across the corpse of team leader Dyatlov nearly 900-feet away from the other cadavers, but somewhat closer to the tent. Dyatlov was on his back; one hand was clinging to an undersized birch tree branch while his other hand, locked in ice and rigor mortis, appeared to be protecting his head from some unknown assailant.

Half buried in the snow not far from the tent was the body of Rustem Slobodin, which rescuers found lying face down in the snow. Slobodin’s skull bore a deep fracture nearly 7-inches long; nevertheless medical experts later determined that the most likely cause death was hypothermia, which only compounded the befuddlement of the volunteer and military search party participants.

The carcass of Zinaida Kolmogorov was turned up the furthest away from the group. Traces of blood were found near her corpse, yet it was not revealed if she was its source, although that conclusion would seem likely. The rescuers could not understand why there was no evidence of a struggle.

The party continued their efforts to locate the rest of the team, but a lengthy search for the remaining members turned up nothing. The men on the site could not comprehend why a group of experienced skiers would dash half-naked into the bitter cold of the forest in the black of night. Nor could they fathom the kind of terror that must have inspired these young people to act so recklessly.

Even more perplexing was the fact that the searchers, after inspecting the severely damaged tent, came to the conclusion that the material had been torn from the inside, as if its occupants had been frantic to escape from something that was already sealed in the tent with them or were in such a rush that unclasping the tent from the inside was not an option!

Amidst the broken wood, shredded canvas and debris of the ravaged tent, investigators discovered rolls of undeveloped film and the journals of a few of the expedition members, but rather than helping to illuminate the truth, these finds would only add more layers to this already dense mystery.

MAY 4, 1959:

After two months of fruitless searching, the spring thaw finally set in and the weather let up enough to reveal the corpses of the missing team members in a ravine situated some 225-feet from the pine that served as an arboreal memorial to Doroshenko and Krivonischenko.

The four lost skiers — instructor Alexander Zolotaryov, engineer Nicolas Thibeaux-Brignollel and students Alexander Kolevatov and Ludmila Dubinina — were discovered buried beneath 12-feet of snow and ice. All had apparently succumbed to brutal internal injuries. Unlike their friends who had perished above, these victims were all fully dressed.

As in the case of Slobodin, Thibeaux -Brignollel’s skull showed evidence of having been struck by a heavy object. Zolotarev and Dubunina’s chests had been crushed inward, shattering several ribs and causing massive internal damage. Strangely there were no indications of what may have caused this severe trauma and, even more bizarrely, the corpses showed no signs of bruising or soft tissue damage.

Doctor Boris Vozrozhdenny, who inspected the bodies, stated that the force with which these corpses were hit exceeded that capable by man and went on to claim that the damage: “…was equal to the effect of a car crash.”

The searchers were startled to observe that Dubinina’s head was tilted back; her stretched mouth wide as if emitting a silent scream. Upon closer inspection the rescuers realized that her tongue had been ripped out by the root.

They also noted that at some point these poor individuals had either exchanged or stolen the clothing off their comrades as Dubinina’s foot was swaddled in a tattered piece of Krivonishenko’s wool pants and Zolotaryov was found wearing Dubinina’s faux fur hat and coat. The searchers were unsure if this was the result of dressing too swiftly in a dark tent or a case of scavenging articles of clothing from deceased teammates.

At the funerals that soon followed the discovery of the bodies, many family members claimed that the skin of the deceased bore an unnatural orange color and, even more disturbingly, most reports insisted that their hair had lost its pigmentation and was a dull shade of grey. Skeptics claim that the orange skin was caused by exposure and that the hair had not lost its color, but it’s interesting that so many of the bereaved relatives took the time to notice these strange features.

As if all of this were not odd enough, some of the articles of clothing found on the bodies were measured as emitting higher than normal levels of radiation.


The compounding enigmas surrounding this fantastic case, combined with the youth and popularity of the victims, sent Soviet investigators into overdrive.

The first thing they did was to try and reconstruct the series of events that led to the Dyatlov Ski Teams shocking demise with the help of the journals and film rolls discovered at the scene.

The primary mystery that faced them was why Dyatlov and his team would have chosen to make camp on an exposed mountain face when a detour of less than a mile would have afforded them some shelter from the harsh Russian elements.

It would be Yudin — the only team member to survive thanks to a timely illness — who would shed light on this question:

“Dyatlov probably did not want to lose the distance they had covered, or he decided to practice camping on the mountain slope.”

The photos developed from the rolls of film found in the tent revealed that the expedition members had set up camp on February 2, at approximately 5:00 pm. on the slope of Kholat-Syakhl, in order to get out of the inclement weather. The group had cleared the tree line and was a mere 10-miles from the first destination on their long trek, Gora Otorten. In the photos they all looked healthy and jovial.

Investigators came to the conclusion that sometime around 7:00 pm. the team ate a meal and not long thereafter members began to settle down for the night. The temperature on the slope was less than five degrees Fahrenheit, which has always made investigators wonder why it was that so many of the skiers were in a state of undress. Whatever their reasons may have been, most researchers agree that at this point everything was relatively normal.

Forensic pathologists later estimated that the events which ultimately led to the untimely deaths of the skiers must have occurred somewhere between 9.30 and 11.30pm. They based this speculation on the undigested food found in the stomachs of the victims. At this point military investigators began piecing this puzzle together to the best of their ability. What follows is, in their best estimation, what occurred:


The investigators speculated that sometime before midnight on February 2, the skiers were frightened by an “unknown event.” Members of the team managed to cut or rip through the fabric of the tent in a frantic attempt to escape whatever might have been attacking or approaching them and in their haste they burst out into the icy night mostly unclothed and in a state of sheer panic.

Being experienced skiers and mountaineers, the group must have been fully aware of the fact that they would not be able to survive long in the frigid wastes without protection. This indicated to the investigators that the team must have been convinced that they were facing mortal peril and had opted to flee for their lives.

The generally bare tracks found in the deep snow implied that the team had initially scrambled outward in all directions, but that they managed to rejoin one another down the incline about 900-feet away from the now shredded tent. Investigators then surmised that the group then huddled for safety beneath the large pine that Doroshenko and Krivonischenko tried so desperately to climb.

At this point the investigators speculated that an attempt was made by teammates to share clothes, but the states of undress that so many of the victims were found in would seem to indicate otherwise. Still the evidence suggests that the group, obviously terrified by the prospect of returning to their tent, manage to gather enough kindling to start a fire.

The agents on the case then begin to wonder of if Doroshenko and Krivonischenko’s efforts to climb the tree were a futile attempt at escape or if they might have been trying to gain a better vantage point to see if their tent, which was much higher up on the slope, was still under siege by whatever unknown menace had compelled them to take flight.

At some point during the night investigators proposed that Doroshenko and Krivonischenko likely had succumbed to exposure. It was then that three members of the team — Kolmogorova, Slobodin and Dyatlov — determined that braving whatever it was that had apparently infested the tent was preferable to dying of hypothermia. Resolute (and almost certainly terrified) the exhausted trio attempted to make their way back up the slope — none of them would make it.

With their young leader out of sight one can only assume that the remaining team members Zolotaryov, Thibeaux-Brignollel, Kolevatov and Dubinina hoped for the best, but expected the worst. Likely terrified beyond belief the four remain survivors strip whatever they can from the corpses of their comrades… and almost certainly pray for daylight.

Fearing that their friends are all dead, investigators hypothesized that Zolotaryov, Thibeaux-Brignollel, Kolevatov and Dubinina decided to move nearer to the forest in hopes of finding some kind of shelter. Somewhere along this journey and eventual descent into a nearby ravine the remaining teammates would sustain their fatal internal injuries, but investigators could not find an obvious cause.

The first to perish, according to forensics reports, was Thibeaux-Brignollel. Within hours he was followed by Kolevatov and Dubinina. Zolotarev would be the last to expire from a combination of internal trauma and hypothermia. It was not clear if the removal of Dubinina’s tongue occurred postmortem or if it contributed to her demise.

When all was said and done, the final survivor died less than eight hours after the initial event. As with everything else in this case, the discovery of the missing team members offered more questions than answers, and the most important one was…


While investigators were able to piece together much of what happened that terrible evening from the physical evidence left at the scene, the primary questions remained unanswered; firstly what could have possibly have frightened these athlete caliber skiers so badly that they were willing to freeze to death rather than confront it… and secondly, what (if anything) lethally injured the remaining survivors?

Despite the popularity of the region, for 3-years following this harrowing event the pass was closed to outdoorsmen, hikers and skiers. This was, presumably, to avert the same terrifying fate from befalling anyone else.

This proves how seriously authorities took this case, but after months of dead ends and disappointments the case was closed and the files were sent to what many allege was a clandestine Soviet archive, but even though the final official word on the event was that the skiers fell to: “a compelling unknown force,” that does not mean that there weren’t plenty of theories floating around. The first supposition that the investigators proposed was that they were murdered by…


The first theory offered up as grist for the rumor mill regarding the fates of the nine skiers was that they had unintentionally run afoul of some Mansi tribesman by trespassing into their territory and that these legendarily harsh Siberian natives had dispatched them accordingly. The theory goes something like this…

Mansi natives enraged by the intrusion of the team tear their way into the communal tent and force the mostly disrobed skiers down the slope, where they build a fire.  After Doroshenko and Krivonischenko perish, Dyatlov, Slobodin and Kolmogorova desperately try and make their way toward what’s left of their tent. Slobodin’s skull is crushed by the butt of a rifle or some other heavy object, knocking him cold. He and his friends then succumb to the elements.

Following the deaths of their compatriots, Zolotaryov, Thibeaux-Brignollel, Kolevatov and Dubinina are compelled to balance on the steep precipice of the ravine wherein their bodies were found the following spring. Thibeaux-Brignollel is wounded with perhaps the same blunt instrument that claimed Slobodin’s  life and Dubinina’s screams prove to be so annoying that one of the Mansi throws her to the ground, breaks her ribs with his knee and forcibly removes her tongue to prevent her from shrieking.

They are both thrown into the ravine, followed by Zolotarev and Alexander Kolevatov. At this point the Mansi leave the interlopers for dead… or so this admittedly dubious theory goes anyway.

Military investigators were swift to dispel this rumor, stating that the damage done to the corpses were inconsistent with an attack by a human being. Some modern day researchers have suggested that the Soviets may have concealed evidence of a Mansi attack in order to avoid a distracting and potentially costly confrontation with the Mansi on their own oil rich soil, which they hoped to exploit.

To even the armchair investigator — a clan of which I am a proud member — it would seem that the total absence of bullet wounds in the victims, combined with the utter lack of footprints, essentially rules out the Mansi as potential suspects in this heinous crime.Add to this the fact that the groups’ provisions were left untouched and we can all but totally dismiss the circumstantial case again these aboriginal hunters

As if that weren’t enough evidence to exonerate these native Siberians, there is conclusive proof that the Mansi assisted in the hunt for the missing skiers. Regardless of how sound the Soviet’s motivation may have been for covering up a Mansi attack, the evidence simply does not bear out this hypothesis.

Intriguingly, Mansi legend has it that Kholat-Syakhl received it’s ominous name after nine Mansi warriors had mysteriously perished on the same peak years before. This has led some investigators to surmise that the region might be cursed or infested by ancient and malicious spirits, but for the most part the mountain was not considered to be a particularly sacred region by the Mansi.

So if we rule out the indigenous human culprits as well as undead ones, then perhaps we should (like so many before us) look to the skies and wonder whether or not the Dyatlov Team might have fallen prey to an…


Like all classic 20th Century mysteries involving groups of missing persons or enigmatic deaths, someone, somewhere is bound to blame strange flying saucers and their insidious occupants for the crime and this case proved to be no different.

According to archived reports, Lev Ivanov, the lead Soviet investigator on the case, collected a report from a group of hikers suggesting that something extraterrestrial might have resulted in the Dyatlov Team’s tragic demise.

The hikers were camping in an area about 32-miles south of Kholat-Syakhl on the night in question when they spied a series of “strange orange spheres” in the northern sky.  It’s worth noting that during the next month and a half other residents of the area report similar anomalous aerial phenomenon.

Ivanov himself believed that these spheres might have been involved with the unusual deaths. In a 1990 interview, Ivanov claimed that he had been ordered to close the case and classify the findings as secret.

He stated that officials were worried that reports of U.F.O.s in the area by multiple eyewitnesses — including members of both the military and weather service — could result in some unnecessary speculation. In an interview with a small Soviet newspaper, Ivanov was alleged to have stated:

“I suspected at the time, and am almost sure now, that these bright flying spheres had a direct connection to the group’s death.”

Ivanov speculated that one of the skiers might have spotted the U.F.O.s and that his or her cries might have panicked the other team members into rushing out just as one of the vehicles exploded above, sending them all fleeing in terror. He even speculated that the concussive blast may be what had cracked Slobodin’s skull. I feel compelled to add that the removal of the tongue is one of the most common features in cattle mutilations, but that seems to be a sketchy link at best.

Other “evidence” that researchers claim is evidence of alien interaction is the allegedly orange flesh and grey hair found on the victims — a point which is hotly debated — and the fact that some of the team members were wearing clothes contaminated with a low level of radiation.

While it’s certainly impressive that the head of the Dyatlov investigation supported this theory, and the anomalous radiation readings are intriguing, it seems as if we might be yet again casting unwarranted aspersions upon our intergalactic brethren. While there can be little doubt that there was some kind of bizarre object soaring in the skies above the Urals that night, perhaps it was not from out of this world, but an all too terrestrial…


This conjecture supposes that the Soviet government was conducting a highly classified test of an unknown weapon on the secluded slopes of Kholat-Syakhl and that — either by intention or accident — the ski team fell prey to this monstrously powerful weapon.

One of the biggest proponents of this theory was the only surviving member of the team, Yudin. Yudin believed that his friends inadvertently entered a covert military testing ground and had paid for it with their lives. He speculated that this was why the military had been so secretive about the investigation and that it also explained his comrades’ irradiated clothing.

After all of the evidence had been collected, the searchers asked for Yudin’s help in identifying who the objects found at the site belonged to. He said that he saw in the mix of his friend’s possessions a torn swathe of fabric that resembled a piece of a soldier’s coat as well as a pair of glasses and skis that had not belonged to any of the team members.

This proof — combined with the fact that Yudin testified to seeing documents that indicated the actual investigation had begun two weeks before the camp’s “official” discovery — compelled him to claim that the military had discovered the camp before the volunteer search party arrived. Yudin also claimed that he knew for a fact that: “there were special boxes with their organs sent for examination,” but this was not reflected in any of the papers that were released.

Be that as it may, the fact remains that the search party found no indication on any explosion on or near the campsite at Kholat-Syakhl. There is also no record of any missile launches in the region, but even in the 21st Century records of clandestine Soviet military operations are still few and far between.

But if we’re dealing with a hazardous unidentified weapon there’s no reason to assume it was explosive. Perhaps there was a bacteriological or chemical spray released that resulted in their panic and eventual demise. A few have even suggested, due to the haphazard method they used in building the fire, that they were blinded by a bright flash, but most researchers do not agree with this assumption

There are also some who believe that it might have been some kind of experimental sonic weapon that employed Infrasound, which has been known to cause feelings from dread to outright panic in humans. Since this sound is inaudible in a classic sense, many people who have been subjected to Infrasound experiments claim to feel that some manner of paranormal force is at work.

This would frankly explain a lot, but that doesn’t change the fact that there’s absolutely no proof to support this assumption. Bringing this back down to Earth… literally… there are those who feel that the team may well have surrendered to…


The eastern face of Kholat-Syakhl is a potentially disastrous avalanche zone and while these intrepid mountaineers chose to brave the slope rather than retreat to the safety of the forest, it seems indubitable that they were keeping one ear open for any tell tale signs of an avalanche.

While there is no evidence supporting the theory that the skiers were caught in even a small avalanche, there are a few who suspect that they might have heard a strange rumbling sound during the night, which led them to believe an avalanche was imminent and in their haste to escape they cut their tent and ran half-naked into the 3-foot deep snow drifts.

While this is a distinct possibility, one would envision that the manifest lack of falling rocks and snow would be enough to compel the team to return to their torn tent to patch it up and bundle up in the clothing they left behind. Investigators have reported that the base of the pine tree where the group gathered was just out of sight of the tent, but I find it difficult to imagine that these seasoned skiers would run that far and never look behind them.

Beyond that, “avalanche panic” doesn’t account for the extensive injuries suffered by so many team members. Still, the one element of this mystery that is universally agreed upon is that the frenetic condition in which the  team members ripped, then abandoned their tent indicates that they were genuinely afraid. The biggest question has always been “what caused this fear?” and some have suggested that the Dyatlov crew might of had a nasty run-in with a…


Although the evidence for this supposition is scant to say the least, there are some who have proposed that the skiers fell victim to the notoriously territorial wild man of Siberia, known to locals as the Almas. They speculate that the terrifying roar of the beast might have sent the team into a panic, resulting in their poorly prepared escape into the snow.

The two primary reasons for the existence of this theory are the seemingly inexplicable impact wounds found on the skulls and torsos of nearly half of the corpses and an as yet unverified piece of paper that was allegedly discovered near the campsite which read:

“From now on we know there are snowmen.”

While the crypto-dork in me salivates at the idea of lumbering, ape-like beasts dwelling in the dark and forested nether regions of our ever shrinking world, the evidence in this case simply does not support the involvement of hairy hominids. The first and most obvious point is that amidst all the manmade tracks that the searchers found, there is no way a pair of gargantuan, bare prints would have gone undetected.

Secondly, while a punch from a Bigfoot-like beast could most assuredly shatter ones ribcage, why would these commonly gentle giants choose to attack some in the group, while allowing others to succumb to the elements? It might be suggested that they were hurling large rocks from a distance, as these creatures are sometimes known to do, but if that were the case then where was the debris when the searchers arrived? Finally the existence of the note itself is highly debatable and most researchers dismiss the entire theory. I’m inclined to agree.


In 1967, journalist Yuri Yarovoi wrote a novel about this enduring mystery titled: “Of the highest rank of complexity.” Yarovoi had served as the official photographer for the Dyatlov Ski Team search party, so he was privy to inside information. Nevertheless, many modern investigators think that due to the fact that the book was published in an era when Cold War tensions were running high and secrecy was the rule rather than the exception, the likelihood that this book told the full story was not very good.

Regardless of how revealing Yarovoi’s book may actually have been — and he conceded that it was a “dramatization” of the actual events, with a much more happy ending — it did manage to lay the groundwork for the legend that would eventually creep its way past the Iron Curtain and into the outside world.

Yarovoi’s colleagues would later reveal that he had written alternative (and ostensibly more authentic) versions of the novel, but his first two attempts were scratched by Soviet censorship. Sadly, following Yarovoi’s death in 1980, his photos, diaries and manuscripts were, conveniently perhaps, lost.

In 1990, author Anatoly Guschin had been granted “special permission” to study the original files of the Dyatlov inquest for a book he wanted to write about the incident. He later reported that scores of pages had been removed from the files, including an “envelope” mentioned in the evidence list. What this envelope was supposed to contain (or if it ever really existed) remains just one of the many mysteries surrounding these events.

In his book: “The price of state secrets is nine lives,” Guschin speculated that the team had fallen victim to a “Soviet secret weapon experiment.” While his theory was just as controversial as the rest, Guschin’s reintroduced this mystery to a brand new generation of curiosity seekers and the floodgates were thrown open with literally hundreds of articles and documentaries following in its wake, including a 2011 segment on the History Channel’s hit program “Ancient Aliens.”


So what really happened to these nine poor souls? For over half a century forensics experts, scientists, military officials and amateur investigators have scratched their collective heads over this eerie enigma… and it doesn’t seem as if any answers are forthcoming.

On February 2, 2008, an investigative conference was organized by Ural State Technical University and the Dyatlov Foundation. The six surviving members of the original search party as well as 31 technical experts assembled in Yekaterinburg, Russia, to look at the evidence and determine the actual fate of the Dyatlov Ski Team. After much deliberation the panel concluded that their deaths were likely the unintended result of a secret military test. Needless to say there are many who disagree with this conclusion.

Regardless of the fact that the victims’ grey hair may be an exaggeration or that the radiation readings might be dismissed due to mild exposure to Radium or Radon in one of the Polytechnic Institute’s many laboratories, the fact is that nine experienced hikers were thrust into such a terrified state that they literally doomed themselves in an effort to escape a fate that they believed would be even more horrendous that freezing to death on an icy mountain slope… what could do that?

In the end we must never forget that this is first and foremost a tragedy in which nine young lives were tragically cut short, with little more than a memorial stone and a rusted plaque to commemorate the terrible loss. Almost as sad is the fact that none of their families were offered the dubious consolation of knowing why it was there loved ones had perished in such a frightening fashion.

There are many who would attribute this mystery to little more than a mundane series of unfortunate mishaps that resulted in nine sorrowful deaths, but these were experienced skiers and it seems unlikely that they would all follow such a foolhardy path. Now, despite generations of effort to debunk and demystify this extraordinary event, the “Dyatlov Pass Incident” remains one of the great mysteries of the 20th Century…  and one of the most frightening true life campfire stories I’ve ever encountered.

 TAGS: , ,

  • jeffrepinc

    This sounds like a chemical event to me. This could explain a lot: The military connection, the orange objects in the sky, the bizarre behavior, and the extreme and inconsistent injuries.

    Police and people report extreme behavior and superhuman feats from people very high on drugs like LSD – enormous strength, frantic activity, lack of fear, paranoia, and often lack of pain sensation ( I recall people putting arms in fryers or fighting off whole groups of people ). Something like this would explain the bizarre group escape, the lack of concern or sensation about the cold, the horrible injury, and the tongue desecration – that last one in particular is not something a bear or wild animal is likely to do.

    This is the kind of event the military would do and is capable of doing…. Sending balloons or exploding in air chemical agents to test their effect on either people, or just to see if there are effects on the local environment. This could explain the orange globes or lights in the sky, and also how this could have affected all the members of the group at the same time and in the same way.

    This could also explain the subtle appearance of cover up. The military would have already been concerned about this geographic area because of the recent experiment -and would have come across this group. If they discovered that the chemical agent left no obvious and lingering traces, they would then be able to allow a civilian investigation to take place.

    I’m much more likely to believe in a human caused chemical disaster over the more extreme proposals – aliens, ghosts, and yeti. It even seems too brutal for local aboriginals… but bizarre brutality is expected with drugs.

  • Heimdallen

    Another thing could account for the lack of any exterior signs of the physical trauma several of them suffered; the cracked skulls and ribs without any bruising or marks on the skin or apparent signs of damage to the soft tissue above the broken bones – the cold itself.

    Since they were all apparently in differing states of undress and undoubtably experiencing some early stage of hypothermia and almost certainly frostbite to the naked flesh, there would be a seriously reduced blood flow to the extremities as their bodies tried desperately to conserve heat to their cores, but there would also be a lack of blood flow in general to the surface areas of any exposed flesh on their bodies, not just the limbs. Any naked skin would be pale and bluish-gray from lack of adequate blood perfusion to the skin and muscles, which could account for the lack of bruising or blood pouring from broken vessels into the surrounding soft tissue.

    It’s just like how when you whack your head, you immediately put ice on it to keep the swelling down, swelling which is a result of broken blood vessels leaking out under the skin and manifesting itself as a big lump and the purple and eventually black and blue color as the blood is slowly reabsorbed back into the body. You place the ice on it, it keeps the swelling and bruising to a minimum. So with their skin already frozen from basically being in a gigantic freezer, even better than putting ice just directly on the area, it could definitely keep visible signs of soft tissue damage to a real minimum or nearly invisible.

    I imagine their bodies would be so terribly frozen after laying out there for so long until found that it would be difficult to really see much of anything in the way of bruising or anything like that. Sure, any good post-mortem examination by anyone who knows what they’re doing should give you a much better idea than a searcher in the rescue party would get just from looking at their frozen bodies when found, but it seems to be that the Soviets weren’t very forthcoming with the autopsy reports.

    It is VERY perplexing to me, trying to think of what could scare them so badly they would slash their way out of the tent in the dark without being properly clothed, run for the treeline, and continue to stay there instead of returning to the tent once the moment had passed, basically ensuring their demise when salvation in the form of clothing and sleeping bags was so close by. I mean let’s be honest, these folks were by all accounts pretty experienced outdoorsmen and women and familiar with mountaineering and cold weather trekking and survival, and it doesn’t take someone with any experience in cold weather survival to realize that running blindly into the snowy wilderness at those temperatures is not going to end well, and has even bleaker prospects when you’re half naked. I think anyone would realize that in that situation.

    Even if an avalanche had let loose and somehow not covered up the footprints from the tent out to where they were each found, (which seems EXTREMELY unlikely, a ghost avalanche of some kind), why in the world would they not return to the tent immediately to try and make use of their gear to stay alive? Could they really have degraded from hypothermia so quickly in those conditions that their mental functioning was so severely impaired that they were able to understand they needed to get warm by lighting a fire, but not able to understand returning to the close by tent to put on clothing would be a good idea to warm up?

    I think that within 20 minutes or so, nearly naked in those conditions, that they could become severely mentally impaired from decreased body temperature, it’s possible, but making a fire seems too complex of a task for them to perform if they were at that state already. If they could understand they needed to get warm still with a fire, and then could gather wood and find a way to get a fire going, I don’t see how they could have been too impaired to figure out to return to the tent.

    It’s been suggested in other things I’ve read about this that hypothermia setting in caused them to remove more clothing and not understand they were freezing to death, and they were thus doomed, as sometimes people who are hypothermic and near the end feel very warm or think they’re hot for some reason and take off clothing, hastening their freezing to death. Maybe that’s really what happened?

    Knowing how evil and terrible even the United States government and military can be when they believe something is critical to national security and military secrets, undoubtably the Soviet government in those times were capable of terrible, terrible things to keep their secrets. I certainly wouldn’t put it past them to have been involved in this in some way – it doesn’t mean they were, but they CERTAINLY were capable of unspeakable evil acts against their own people and often times were. So I don’t think we can discount that, even if there’s a lack of evidence, especially since it appears the military arrived before the search teams and the government controls the evidence found and documentation regarding the investigation. When you can control what anyone knows about an incident, it’s not hard to hide your own involvement in it. So some sort of weapons test in what they thought was an area completely devoid of people, or in an area that they suddenly had a perfect group of 9 subjects to secretly use as guinea pigs, and wanted to take full advantage of their luck and the students bad luck of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, can’t be ruled out I don’t think. Either way, intentionally or by accident, it’s a possibility that they became unwilling participants in an experiment.

    I could speculate all day, but without knowing what to believe and no way of knowing what’s fact and what’s fiction in this incident, I wouldn’t be doing anyone any favors. I don’t know what happened. However, all I believe I can safely say is that the effects of hypothermia can’t be forgotten as a possible explanation for a lot of things, mainly their strange behavior and lack of visible trauma, and also that the Soviet government couldn’t be trusted to disclose the truth in nearly anything they were involved in or commented on. So we can’t forget that either, that in all probability they likely contributed to making this incident even more mysterious and seemingly unexplainable, and not the other way around.

    But man, mysteries like this drive me nuts and I wish governments wouldn’t keep stuff classified and lie to us about things that we either a) deserve to know to begin with or b) don’t need to be covered up still so long after the events took place. I doubt anything that was a technological or state or military secret back then would be of any value to a foreign intelligence agency still today. Geez.

  • tulsamikel

    Exactly correct! You saved me from a long boring response to introduce this theory. The time frame is correct. These types of experiments were going on in Russia and the US. The fact the military’s investigation started about the time their trip should have ended, which was 2 weeks earlier then they were found. They were frighted by something that left zero evidence in snow. This could have even happened with out any military involvement but being experienced hikers, that is unlikely.

  • Mark Mountjoy

    An avalanche would have tore up all order in the tent! The contents of the tent were set in perfect order.

  • Mark Mountjoy

    Two things stand out in my mind: The orange lights and the creatures called Snowman are connected; I think the group saw both.

  • Mark Mountjoy

    The stuff at the camp that did not belong there could have been left there two weeks from the shocked officials of the military discovery team. If the military was directly responsible all cameras would have been confiscated immediately.

  • Mark Mountjoy

    Why blood in her stomach that shows she was alive when the tongue was removed????

  • King Joe

    I’d love to hear more about the mysterious deaths of the 9 Mansi tribesmen who allegedly were killed on the same mountain years before that Dyatlov mystery. Short of Yeti or space aliens it’s hard to come up with something so scary that experienced hikers would run out into sub-zero temps at night in their underwear.

  • Rowan Walters

    Great article on a fascinating and spooky tragedy.
    So many questions.
    It still seems really strange that in sub zero conditions they had removed any clothes at all. There must have been some kind of sexual shenanigans happening.
    I know that there was one theory involving the men fighting over the attentions of one or both of the women, but there could just as easily have been same sex attraction involved which elicited violence. These were young people in peak physical condition with correspondingly healthy libidos after all.
    On another issue – reportedly the oldest member of the group, Zolotarev, was a seasoned military veteran with the NKVD and had a mysterious tattoo with a word that has never been identified as any known language.
    “Semyon “Alexander” Zolotaryov*, a 37-year-old bachelor, and instructor at a remote tourist center, joined the group at the last minute. He was a veteran with years of combatant experience who fought for the NKVD, and bore an enigmatic tattoo, “DAERMMUAZUAYA”. Until this day, the word remains un-translated into any known language.
    Archives of the Ural Polytechnic Institute revealed a remarkable detail about Alexander Kolevatov: before transferring to the Physics-Technical department at the UPI, he worked in Moscow as a laboratory assistant in a top-secret scientific facility, an unnamed “atomic” institute known as “P.O. Box No. 3394”. And Yuri Krivonischenko worked in a most notorious “P.O. Box*” – the plant “Mayak*” in Chelyabinsk-4010, where a massive nuclear disaster, second in severity only to Chernobyl, occurred in 1957.”
    So there was a theory that there was a possible Cold War espionage aspect to the case, involving Zolotaryov, Kolevatov and others.
    And regarding Dubinina’s missing tongue and eyes, it is possible that these were taken by scavengers since she was found kneeling against a rock with face upturned and mouth wide open. Ravens, for example, always go for the eyes of dead animals first, and since the tongue was exposed that would have been a logical next course.
    Perhaps the eeriest aspect of this case is the images recovered from the film showing these young people in their final days, showing them relaxed and carefree.

  • Kristen

    I’ve seen quite a few pictures recently on this topic and all the bodies hair were their normal color. I don’t know why this rumor continues when you can easily see online the bodies in various shots with their hair. I imagine there skin was a weird color being exposed to the elements for ten days. I look pretty different after skiing all day in a storm. I think if it was an avalanche there bodies wouldn’t have been recovered or visible for months. And as stated they would have a lot more broken bones. I do believe that something frightened them and maybe it’s the infra sounds but how could the 4 have such severe injuries without any soft tissue damage? If they fell in a ravine wouldn’t there be bruises? How come no one has tried replicating the trip to come up with ideas? Or use dummies to see if a fall would causes the damages they received?

  • Pingback: 10 Strange Unexplained Event. |

  • King Joe

    Well it’s an idea I’ll give you that much. I’m still stuck on Bigfoot or space aliens. Still your theory of a sex orgy gone wrong makes as much sense as anything else in this crazy story.

  • Schecky Schmengberg

    I do believe any radiation above norms would ruin the photographic film.

  • joze macculloch

    I also strongly believe that the military/goverment is capable of being responsible for the tragic events that took place that night !!

  • King Joe

    Can you link to the pics or story Justin? I’d love to check it out. I hadn’t read about that stuff.

  • vivek kailash

    Ok..i have only one did they manage to light fire without any lighter or matchbox(i am asuming without because they were in their pyjamas).. Outside tent…near harsh night cold

  • omgnoway

    My theory is… someone just brought a really bad dose of acid and they all went on a crazy wild trip.

  • King Joe

    I’ve wondered about that one myself. Also if 4 of them walked off without a trace and not being found till the snow melted then it’s certainly possible something else was there that night.

  • Brian

    Look at the pic of the skiers looking like they are setting up the tent. Then look at the piC of the investigators angle of the tent how they found it. Someone drew a circle around an object that appears in both photos. Also one of the tent stakes (the wide one) he didn’t circle. If you look at it real close it’s the same pole in the pic one of the skiers took. Whoever took the pic was the 6th person accounted for. He took the picture looking up to where the investigator took the pic down toward him. You the can see the circled object that looks like a cross in both pics. You also see the tent pole in both. The picture the skier took she’s 5 people frantically digging in the snow. So the tent was already down. They would not have wanted to hurt whoever was in the tent they were trying to rescue from the crushing and blowing snow that you can see them digging in that photo. I think since whoever took that picture knew since there was a bad storm and the tent was collapsed they might want to record the photo. You can see in it that it appears to be getting dark so he wanted to take it then. Then he didn’t have a chance to show who they were digging up because it got dark. When the people in the tent 3 of them could tell not much snow was on top of them they decided to cut themselves out of the tent. That’s whE. The rest of the team saw them naked. If there was that big of a pole they would have had enough room just to get undressed to share body heat since the heat couldn’t have excaped in such a small area. This probably happened when the storm started. The 6 members decided to look for better shelter while they left a guy with them to keep them calm. They probably found the area by the pine tree. In fact you can’t see whet they are using to dig up the trapped people so they might be using pine tree branches that would have cut through hard packed snow better. Then as soon as they got them out they heard the ground shaking. Thinking another snow fall was coming down at them they grabbed what extra cloths they could. If you look in the pic all the skies are sticking in the snow at random as if they were in a rush to get to victims in the tent. They might have found them already dead and trying to save them started a fire by the pine tree. Bare chest that they pounded on making marks that appeared orange. Having them so close to the fire their hair got singed. (White in color) then when they realized they couldn’t save them some remembered they left all the back packs and gear around the tent. You see it all around the tent in the pic the skier took. When they returned an avelancth hit them sending them down the 12 foot drop. While falling one of the girls they saved was screaming and the snow ripped out her tounque same as the snow and falling rocks hit them in the head and chest. That’s some of the gear that fell on them to and that’s how one of the bodies had a ski under him. The one or two survivors didn’t have any gear left at all then and died in the cold. Just a tragic natural accident.

  • Brian
  • Tammy Bayne

    The official autopsy files as well as all of the investigative files on the case can be found on a website entitled hibinaud.

  • Brian

    Quoted from an article “There was a snowstorm the night of February 2, which is when it was determined, via their diaries, that they died.”
    A picture can tell a thousand things. I examined both the photos posted here. The angle of the items I circled and numbered is just right if looking from the opposite direction.
    Look at the pic of the skiers looking like they are setting up the tent. Then look at the pic from the investigators angle of the tent how they found it. Whoever took the pic was the 5th person accounted for while the picture of the hikers was taken.
    Maybe someone can identify the people in the pictures because that would help. He took the picture looking up to where later the investigators took the pic looking down toward him. The picture the skier took there’s 4 or 5 people frantically digging in the snow. 4 are circled with green the other is blue, if it’s a person. So the tent was already down. They would not have wanted to hurt whoever was in the tent they were trying to rescue from the crushing and blowing snow that you can see them digging in that photo. As bright as it appears you can tell they were moving quickly because of the blurred hands in motion. I think since whoever took that picture knew since there was a bad storm and the tent was collapsed they might want to record the photo. This could be the second to last photo on the role. If the original investigators messed up some evidence then how do we know the true order of the photos. When the people trapped in the tent 3 or 4 of them could tell not much more weight of snow was on top of them they decided to cut themselves out of the tent. That’s why the rest of the team saw them naked. If there was a area no collapsed in the tent they would have had enough room just to get undressed to share body heat since the heat couldn’t have excaped in such a small area. This probably happened when the storm started. The 4 or 5 rescuers decided to look for better shelter while they left 1 person with the saved people from the tent to keep them calm. This of course after they could dig out whatever clothing or shared from each other.They probably found the area by the pine tree. In fact you can’t see what they are using to dig up the trapped people so they might be using pine tree branches that would have cut through hard packed snow better. Then as soon as they got them out they heard the ground shaking. Thinking another avalanche was coming down at them they grabbed what extra cloths they could. If you look in the pic all the skies are sticking in the snow at random as if they were in a rush to get to victims in the tent. They might have found them already dead and trying to save them started a fire by the pine tree. Bare chest that they pounded on making marks that appeared orange. Having them so close to the fire their hair got singed. (White in color) then when they realized they couldn’t save them some remembered they left all the back packs and gear around the tent. You see it all around the tent in the pic the skier took. When they returned an avelancth hit them sending them down the cliff. While falling one of the girls they saved was screaming and the snow or anything ripped out her tounque same as the snow, gear or falling rocks hit them in the head and chest. That’s some of the gear that fell on them to and that’s how one of the bodies had a ski under him. The one or two survivors didn’t have any gear left at all then and died in the cold. Just a tragic natural accident. This is the photo I talk about. You need to picture looking at it from both sides. Also don’t just look at each item I circled without zooming in. You’ll see much more that shows those are the same items.

  • Brian

    So funny that people believe in Yetis. The investigators put that picture in to keep people away from a military zone.

  • Brian

    Aleksandr: “tourists” does it seem logical that THREE ENGINEERS and 6 experienced avid hikers would decide to dig a pit in snow that appears to be drifting quicker than they are digging? If your theory is correct why don’t you see 8 people digging to get the job done quicker and get into the tent? Did you look at both pictures and notice about 3 feet of snow is below their feet judging by the height of it on the skies they used for tent stakes? Plus I didn’t know they had tents. I thought it was only one tent in question that people cut free from the inside out. I’ve been in a cold situation were trees seemed the only logical thing to do in that kind of storm for shelter. In a way your saying that at least one or more made up the minds of all 9 to pick the nastiest place to set up, sorry “dig a pit” to erect a tent “tents”. Why? Explain to me why you think they would pick that spot and use their skies to hopefully hold the tent up in that wind. You have held an umbrella in a very windy storm I hope. You can just tell by the force of the wind trying to push you off balance that if you let the umbrella go it’s going to blow away right? I know they had enough common sense to know the trees would have been a better support than the skies to hold the tent up. In a last minute attempt to escape that type of weather would be to tunnel into the snow. Not dig as to clear a path to the ground so they can set up a tent. Then maybe throw snow on top for insulation that would just blow away? Sorry I just know they would have been smarter than that in such a nasty storm. I’ve taken a LOT of winter photos and to get a photo like that with that much snow drifting in a single frame it was blowing hard. Wind and high ground don’t mix and I’m sure you know that. I’m not in any way trying to argue. I just can’t stand seeing some of these comments that make these 9 good people look like idiots or morons. Just look at the pics and if you have a good sense of measurement and angle you can see they were digging as you said. But I highly doubt it was to do it in the attempt to make the place of rest for the night. As a cop we trained hard at making accident reports. Some of witch had no survivors. So we had to look at the evidence to come up with the facts. It’s not that training that gave me my opinion and that’s all this is. It was on the job and seeing how chain reactions can make so many people think it could have only been little green men falling out of the sky that did it. But thanks to survivors things like Smoke from a fire and little green men. Are just simply just antifreeze boiling over a hot radiator spraying the green fluid in the air. That’s just setting a picture how things can be mistaken by armatures. These “tourists” just had a bad chain of events. If one photo was printed out of order or missnumbered then now we don’t have a horrible accident of man and nature. We have stories that take away people wanting to know these people for who they were and learning from mistakes to avoid the same in the future to this.

  • Kyrre Linné Kausrud

    No. It would not.

  • Schecky Schmengberg

    I know for a fact that it would.

  • CM

    Microbial activity, interesting theory, but it wouldn’t have left a clean “ripped out by the root” appearance. It wouldn’t have been clean. The evidence of blood in the stomach of the victim suggest she was alive when the tongue was removed. Also, in those minus degree temps, the bodies would have frozen quickly. A predator would have found it extremely difficult to tear out a frozen tongue with a clean break. There was no evidence of any piece of the body part found. I have also read several other accounts that state one of the other bodies in the ravine was missing its eyes. It’s difficult to fact check this, but there it is.

  • CM

    I agree, the presence of footprints is really what bothers me most concerning the “evidence”. The crime scene was exposed in the open for almost a month, from Feb 2 to Feb 28th and that was the autopsy docs best guess… Any trace of prints of any kind would have been buried in snow. I strongly believe the scene was tampered with and “prints” were planted.

  • CM

    I believe the most simple explanation is often the right one. In this case, yes, to me this screams Military weapons test gone awry and a cover up ensues.

  • CM

    Cindy, where did you find the documentary? I’d love to see it!

  • CM

    Wolves is what I was thinking when I read that the 2 men under the tree tore off their palms trying to climb it. Climbing a tree would be a defensive reaction to an animal predator, not a human threat. Building a fire would also serve as protection against animal threats. I think the tent and prints were a plant, and the bodies in the ravine that sustained the worst damage were dumped in an attempt to delay discovery.

  • CM

    I’m with you on this. I believe it was a weapons test gone wrong and the victims, being in the wrong place at the wrong time witnessed something that compromised Russian national security. They were sanitized as a result.

  • HeatherRinker

    This story is surely very bizarre. The more I read other people’s posts and remember how the story happened, the more I also believe that this possibly happened with a chemical attack by the government. Sure the government has plenty of ways to cover up their tracks and manipulate things for crazy experiments. Definitely would not hike near government bases.

  • Cindy Finch-Mass

    It was on the Discovery Channel , I believe. It is fascinating !!

  • Roger Stankovic

    A chemical attack does not explain many aspects of this mystery. There were no residual chemicals reported on the bodies. Why were some of the hikers not affected and others affected? Why are there massive high impact injuries found in some of the bodies? This is not chemical related. Why are internal organs missing? The list ones on…

  • Roger Stankovic

    One unusual aspect of this story is the fact that the foot prints from some of the hikers that fled the tent stop abruptly about 500 meters from the tent. This is extraordinary since that implies that they were lifted off the earth for a period of time and then put back down in a different spot at a different time. Also the mutilations found on the bodies of Lyudmila and Zina were consistent with those found in animal mutilations that started in the 1950’s mainly with cattle in the USA. The phenomenon (animal mutilations) is widespread now and affects wildlife as well as domesticated animals and humans. The human cases are not reported as they are often detected by military helicopters and removed from the scene and the coroners report is never issued. These people are reported as missing and are never found. The only explanation is that they are being taken by something that evolved in an extraterrestrial environment. Orange orb like lights were seen in the region where these hikers were found days before they died.

  • Hospice_Auspice

    Dyatl means Woodpecker (the bird), so Dyatlov Pass translates to The Pass of the Woodpecker.

  • drake

    i agree with you, probably a military test gone terribly wrong, or they just saw what they were not supposed to…but why leave os much proof behind, would’t it be easier, if the were there tempering the scene, why not just show i like they killed each other? why take her eyes out, and tongue? why literally “lift” them up, and hide some of the bodies? i mena, the technlogy at that time was not able to explain it, but too much has been left open, even for the military

  • Jeremy Green

    what where the names of the documentaries

  • Brandon Landers

    I say something else. To be quite honest I don’t want to know what did this, but a demon or something could’ve done this, I honestly have no idea. There are many strange phenomenons out in the world, but no one can be sure what did it. I can speculate that it flew however due to the “no footprint thing” and it had to be powerful, but I’m not certain about the tainted skin or gray hair.

  • Enchntress

    Dyatlov was the last name of the leader of the excursion – Igor Dyatlov.

  • NotePad

    I think the sighting of orange lights in the area, and on the night of the incident, shows that this is most likely related to the UFO and alien abduction phenomenon.

  • Frank Kling

    The fallacy in your statement that the evidence does not support the theory of a hairy hominid is whose to say the creature is a hominid. I belive the creature is a supernatural being as evidenced by the strange occurrence of UFOs at the same time of Bigfoot sightings.

  • Niteangel

    You make many good points CM.

  • acgogo

    Maybe poisoned with hallucinogens? Or perhaps ergot mold in bread or other food.

  • Sharon

    I agree with you, Frank as well as the Russian Military, much like the U.S. Gov’t. are aware of alien beings and work with them on some levels. If that’s the case, I can assure people that the aliens have the upper hands over our human race. We are the ones taking the orders and acting out that which we have been ordered to do.

  • BW

    Danny Vendramini’s “Them+Us” website has some interesting ideas in this regard. His view of what Neanderthals looked (and acted) like is terrifying.

  • Justme

    I thought about some kind of drugs or poison too. I don’t even think they took it on purpose. Maybe it was ergot or even Russians tested some chemical weapons. Mutilation or even self-inflicted wounds aren’t unusual for some kind of drugs. LSD i.e. numbs your feelings for cold and pains afaik. Somehow I have the feeling the military was involved, since they locked that area for about 3 years after the incident happened. And when they made the documents public a part of them were missing. Also it’s said their faces were orange-brown and the hair were grey, so there must have been some kind of radiation as well. I wouldn’t know what else could have caused those symptoms. It’s also said that the tips of the trees were burned and that the footsteps ended after 500 m. It’s weird, maybe someone covered them. Only cause there are no footsteps, it doesn’t mean that no one was there. Theyre easy to cover up with snow. And in those 2-3 weeks til the first bodies were found it was probably snowing again. And I wouldn’t put too many thoughts in the radioactivity that was found on some of the bodies. They studied on a polytechnical university. Maybe they made experiments with radioactivity anywhen. Also the colors for some clothes are said to contain radioactivity back then. On some sides I read they used lamps that contained radioactivity. Alltogether I think that several factors caused what happened to those poor people that night, but none have to include an alien.

  • Sam

    At least one of them, I think it was Slobodin, had a box with matches with him, so they actually were able to light a fire.

  • Amy

    It was proven that one of the girls, at least, was not sexually active at the time. There are articles available in which you can see photographs of the bodies for yourself, though I warn you the images are not for the faint of heart. The woman whose tongue was removed was found with 100g of blood in her stomach, which would indicate that her tongue and the soft flesh of her inner mouth were removed at the very least while she was still warm; most take this to indicate it’s removal while she was still alive, and that she swallowed the blood.

    The people taking part in this expedition were experienced in such extreme hiking expeditions, and as with any professionals they should be expected to have taken sensible precautions. The trip itself was commemorative.

    There are a few theories actually that one of their number was a spy, but the theory has several holes in it as well. Paradoxical Undressing, the phenomenon you’re discussing whereby victims feel super heated due to hypothermia, has also been used to explain away many things.

    Another important note is that much of the scenes were actually contaminated; the search party was expecting to find them alive, and appropriate care wasn’t taken to preserve everything as a crime scene. As such, there’s a lot we don’t know. 🙂