Feb 06, 2012 I Nick Redfern

Animal Mutilations: An English Affair

Any mention of "animal mutilations" invariably, and quite understandably too, provokes imagery of the notorious "cattle-mutilation" events that reached their peak in the southwest regions of the United States in the mid to late 1970s. On the issue of whether or not the killing and mutilation of animals on a large scale was, and perhaps still is, the work of extraterrestrials, occult groups, government personnel engaged in biological warfare experimentation, scavengers, shadowy figures with concerns about exotic viruses entering the U.S. food-chain, or a combination of all the above, the jury is very much still out. But, less well known, is that such events are not limited to the United States...

One particular case stands out for truly memorable and macabre reasons, as will now become apparent. It all began on 1 October 1997, as a good friend of mine, Nigel Wright, then of the Exeter Strange Phenomena Research Group, and the co-author with Jon Downes of the book The Rising of the Moon, reveals:

"Approximately three weeks ago two young men were swimming in Otter Cove [Lyme Bay, Exmouth, England]. As darkness drew in, they decided to make for the shore and change to go home. As they got changed, one of them looked out to sea. He saw what he described as a 'greenish' light under the surface. He called to the other young man and they both watched as this light 'rose' to the surface of the water. The next thing they knew there was a very bright light shining into their faces. They turned the scene and fled."

Meanwhile, on the top of the cliffs, equally strange things were afoot. The two young men raced for the car of a relative and breathlessly explained what had happened. Incredibly, she, too, had seen something highly unusual in precisely the same time frame on the road leading to Otter Cove: a strange animal that she likened to "an enormous cat." Whatever the origin of the beast, however, she was certain of one thing: it was, to quote her, "all lit up" – glowing almost.

On the following day, a dead whale was found washed upon the beach below the cliffs. This did not appear to have been merely a tragic accident, however. On receiving reports that a whale had been found in precisely the area that anomalous lights and a strange creature were seen, Nigel Wright launched an investigation.

"The first thing that struck me as I looked on at this scene," recalls Wright, "was how perfect the carcass was. There was no decay or huge chunks torn from it. Then, as I wandered around it, I noticed that there was only one external wound: in the area of the genitals a round incision, the size of a large dinner plate, was cut right into the internal organs of the mammal. The sides of this incision were perfectly formed, as if some giant apple corer had been inserted and twisted around. From the wound hung some of the internal organs."

Nigel continues: "I quizzed the official from English Heritage, who was responsible for the disposal of the carcass. He informed me that no natural predator or boat strike would have caused this wound. As I looked at this sight, the first thing that came into my mind was how this looked just like the cattle mutilation cases of recent times."

Wright was also able to determine that this was not the only time that unusual lights had been seen in the vicinity of Lyme Bay: "No precise date can be given for the evening when a fishing boat encountered a strange light over Lyme Bay," he explains, 'but, since this was told to me by the skipper of the vessel concerned, I can vouch for its authenticity. The vessel in question was five miles off Budleigh Salterton. The crew became aware of a bright, white-blue light which hovered some distance from the boat. At first they thought it was a helicopter but they heard no engine sounds, nor saw any navigation lights."

Nigel was told by the captain of the vessel that the night had been "bright and clear" and that if the object had made any noise, it would certainly have been "audible for miles.

"The light remained stationary for about one and a half hours. Judging by the mast of their vessel, which is twenty-eight feet high, the crew estimated that the light was not much higher than that," adds Wright. "It then very suddenly disappeared."  The case was over.

The mutilators of England - whatever their point of origin - have not disappeared, however. Expect further revelations on this very matter in the near future!

Nick Redfern

Nick Redfern works full time as a writer, lecturer, and journalist. He writes about a wide range of unsolved mysteries, including Bigfoot, UFOs, the Loch Ness Monster, alien encounters, and government conspiracies. Nick has written 41 books, writes for Mysterious Universe and has appeared on numerous television shows on the The History Channel, National Geographic Channel and SyFy Channel.

Join MU Plus+ and get exclusive shows and extensions & much more! Subscribe Today!