It looks like the time has finally come to officially retire and lay to rest the MU Android app. The poor little guy held on for as long as possible but in the end he just couldn’t go on. Scroll down for the solution, or keep reading to find out why.
As you may have heard us mention on a recent show (was it a Plus+ Extension?) we are, as I write this, building a MASSIVE update to our website and the backend servers that run everything. Update perhaps isn’t the right word. This is a complete REBUILD of everything that runs our business from the ground up, including a rebranding, new site design, new servers, and a custom CMS to replace the WordPress site we currently use. We wish we could show it to you right now because it looks amazing and will be 100x faster and more stable than anything we currently run. We’re hoping to launch towards the end of this year, more info to come.
A big feature of our new system will be the ability to use your Plus+ membership in ANY podcasting app you like, from Apple Podcasts to Cpod on Linux. We believe this is a much better option as many of you obviously listen to other shows and already have a favorite app for podcasts. This way you can keep using your favorite app and just add your MU Plus+ subscription to it!
This new change would mean however that our iOS and Android apps would stop working completely when we launch the new site. We had planned to make this transition as smooth as possible for everyone and give you plenty of time to switch but it looks like the Android app has thrown a spanner into that idea with this new bug.
Currently it seems most users can no longer log into the Android App. To put it simply this appears to be a PHP issue but not something we can easily roll back or fix, hence our decision to retire the app early and encourage everyone to follow the instructions below to switch to another app.
How Do I Get Plus+ on Android?
- Right now we are recommending Podcast Addict but there are other apps that work. They do need to support “Premium Podcasts” or “Authenticated feeds”. We’ve also successfully tested DoggCatcher and have gotten reports that Beyondpod and Podcast Republic are working well too.
Step 1. Download Podcast Addict from the Google Play store
Step 2. Tap the “+ Podcasts” icon
Step 3. Tap the RSS icon.
Step 4. Paste in the MU Plus+ RSS feed:
High Quality: https://mysteriousuniverse.org/feed/muplushq/
Standard Quality: https://mysteriousuniverse.org/feed/muplussq/
Step 5. Check the “Authentication” checkbox and enter your Plus+ login details.
If you entered your details correctly and you have an active account you should now see your MU Plus+ feed ready to go!
- If you received an error please double check your login details by making sure you can login on our website here.
- Reminder: there’s no need to subscribe to the free version of MU in your app. You get everything in your Plus+ feed!
- Any issues please email [email protected]
- When our new system launches EVERY app will work with your new feed 🙂