Aug 20, 2022 I Nick Redfern

Old and Obscure UFO Cases: Fascinating Stories to Dig Into

Today's article is a little bit different. I thought it would be good to share with you some of the many UFO reports I have in my files. They are, for the most, obscure and hardly ever seen. However, today, I'm going to open them to you, in the event you might want to look back at some of  these cases and try and resolve them. With that said, let's begin. Case 1: In the early part of 1996, the British Ministry of Defense (MoD) declassified under the terms of the Government’s “Thirty Year Ruling” (legislation designed to ensure that all documents, regardless of classification, were withheld from public scrutiny for a minimum of 30 years) a file that detailed a variety of UFO reports from 1965. Contained within the file was an 11-page report concerning an unidentified object that was seen to come down in the vicinity of March, Cambridgeshire, England on January 5, 1965. A man named Max Beran, one of those who witnessed the descent of the object, quickly wrote to the Meteorological Office Unit (MOU) at Huntington Road, Cambridge.Beran stated: “While in the sunlight it remained visible, giving the appearance of a curved object. Perhaps a parachute, but I would have thought too fast for that. Before falling too low to be visible in the low sun it appeared to be falling to a point perhaps a mile or two Southeast of the town center from where I was watching. What could the falling object have been?" The Senior Meteorological Officer at Cambridge immediately contacted his headquarters at Braknell, Berkshire, regarding Beran’s letter. Recognizing that this was a matter for the Ministry of Defense, Braknell prepared a one-page memorandum for the MoD outlining the facts. The MoD quickly swung into action.

(Nick Redfern) Where the U.K. National Archives store there UFO files.

According to a one-page handwritten note contained within the file, the police at March had been directed by the MoD to look into the matter. “[The police] sent a car out to look for the object in the vicinity of the ‘Sixteen Root Drain’ but without success,” stated the note. The MoD also put numerous questions to a host of other official departments as it sought to locate and identify the UFO, including the Royal Navy, the Ministry of Aviation, and various civil aviation bodies. Whatever the object was, the MoD claimed, it was not a piece of military hardware. “Things which may on occasion fall from aircraft include external fuel tanks, drag-chutes, cockpit canopies, access panels on doors, and sometimes accumulations of ice,” the MoD informed Max Beran. “We have looked carefully into all these possibilities so far as our own aircraft are concerned, but have drawn a blank.” The story was shut down by the MoD.

Now, we go to 1966. According to a batch of files that the British National Archive declassified a number of years ago, the well-known English writer Dame Rebecca West was inadvertently plunged into a very strange puzzle. Incredibly, she asserted, some sort of unusual aerial object, had landed in the grounds of her home – Ibstone House. As the now-aged and fading documentation at the Public Record Office reveals, it was early 1966, and West was out walking in the grounds of her home when…“As I was going down the steep hill to the farm buildings I noticed a man walking on my property at some distance to the right of the path I was following,” she wrote to the MoD. “Presently, he reached a point when the wood stopped and there is a hedge which runs down to the valley along a sharp ridge. There is a gap in the hedge and the man stopped just past this and turned around, facing in the reverse direction, and stood still.”

Expressing concern about “what he was going to do,” West watched in amazement as what she described as “an aerial construction” appeared out of nowhere. “One moment it was not there, the next it was,” Rebecca West explained. “It seemed to come down quite rapidly, on the other side of the hedge from the man, but very close to it.” And what, precisely, was it that Dame Rebecca West saw? Her description was curious, to say the least.  Stressing to the MoD that the object was “strangely shaped,” she stated: “It consisted of something like a metal band, grey-blue in colour, flattened at one point so as to seem almost leaf-like, crossed with a sort of herringbone system of metal strips.” She elaborated further: “There was also somehow attached to these an odd object like a bag with an opening that had points, made of yellowish material. As I looked the whole thing collapsed toward the ground. “I saw it crumpling downwards, but crumpling is not quite the word. The metal band seemed to cut backwards and disappear while the curious bag looked as if someone were squeezing the air out of the lower portion of it, so that all the points stood up, and then fell back. Comparing the height of the object with the height of the man, I should put it as something [between] fifteen and twenty.” The mystery remained exactly that: a mystery.

Rob Freeman is someone who, in 1999, had a very weird encounter in Staffordshire, England’s Cannock Chase woods; it’s a large area of forest noted for being a magnet for strange activity, including sightings of UFOs, Bigfoot, and a multitude of other, unusual phenomena. Freeman, while taking a long walk in the woods – to burn off the calories ingested over the Christmas period – came across a strange, small ball of metal sitting on a trio of metal legs. The ball was around the size of an average beach-ball, while the legs were about two-feet in length. Somewhat perplexed, Freeman stared at the weird contraption – wondering what on Earth it was. He admitted, however, that its flying saucer-like shape almost immediately had him thinking it was some sort of vehicle – despite its small size. His suspicions were not wrong. In mere seconds after Freeman encountered the curious object, it shot into the sky, and was out of sight in seconds. Despite contacting the local police and also nearby military bases – in an effort to try and determine if the object was something of theirs - Freeman hit a brick wall. For him, at least, the matter was never resolved.

Only a few days after the beginning of 2014, a creepy kid surfaced in West Virginia. Point Pleasant, West Virginia is – beyond any shadow of doubt – noted most of all for its wave of sightings of the infamous Mothman between 1966 and 1967. Decades later, however, the town was to play host to something even stranger. The witness to the weird affair, a local woman named Denise, was jolted from her sleep by a young boy looming over her bed. This was no normal boy, however: it was one of the dreaded Black-Eyed Children – pale-skinned, hoody-wearing kids who are noted for their completely black eyes. Denise tried to scream out, but her vocal-chords were paralyzed, as was here entire body. The eerie boy stared at terrified Denise for a few moments, then retreated into the shadows of the room and vanished. It was a nerve-jangling experience that Denise has not forgotten. Nor has she forgotten a strange wave of hang-up phone calls that occurred across the next three nights, and all around 3:00 a.m. A connection? Denise believes so.

(Nick Redfern) Point Pleasant, West Virginia isn't just the home of Mothman: There are black-eyed children in the area, too.

The following document, dated September 16, 1980 and written on official U.S. Air Force stationery, was forwarded to UFO researcher Leonard Stringfield by a source to whom Stringfield gave the pseudonym of “Jeffery Morse.” “In 1978, I was stationed at McGuire AFB, N.J. One evening, during the time frame of 0300 hrs. and 0500 hrs., there were a number of UFO sightings in the area over the air field and Ft. Dix MP’s were running code in the direction of Brownsville, N.J. A state trooper then entered Gate #5 at the rear of the base requesting assistance and permission to enter. “I was dispatched and the trooper wanted access to the runway area which led to the very back of the air field and connected with a heavily wooded area which is part of the Dix training area. He informed me that a Ft. Dix MP was pursuing a low flying object which then hovered over his car. He described it as oval shaped, with no details, and glowing with a bluish-green color. His radio transmission was cut off. 

“At that time in front of his police car, appeared a thing, about 4 feet tall, grayish, brown, fat head, long arms, and slender body. The MP panicked and fired five rounds from his .45 cal. into the thing, and one round into the object above. The object then fled straight up and joined with eleven others high in the sky. This we all saw but didn’t know the details at the time. “Anyway, the thing ran into the woods towards our fenceline and they went to look for it. By this time several patrols were involved. We found the body of the thing near the runway. It had apparently climbed the fence and died while running. It was all of a sudden hush-hush and no one was allowed near the area.” The case is highly controversial and there are those who believe in the story and there are those who suggest we send the story to the garbage container. Worth looking at the case again? Who knows?

In 1996, the late Tony Dodd – a UK police-officer and UFO investigator – interviewed a retired member of the British military on the matter of an alleged UFO crash in Wales in 1974. Dodd referred to his source as “James Prescott.” According to Prescott, on the night of January 21, “We, that is myself and four others, were ordered to go to Llandderfel and were under strict orders not to stop for any civilians.” The team - in Hazmat suits and masks - soon reached Llandderfel, whereupon they were ordered to load two large oblong boxes into their vehicle: “We were at this time warned not to open the boxes, but to proceed to [the Chemical and Biological Defense Establishment at] Porton Down [Wiltshire, England] and deliver the boxes.”  A number of hours later, they reached Porton Down and the mysterious cargo was quickly taken inside the facility. The staff at Porton allegedly opened the boxes while Prescott and the others looked on. Inside the boxes, to Prescott’s amazement, were “two creatures which had been placed inside decontamination suits.” The Porton staff then began the careful task of opening the suits. Prescott said: 

(Nick Redfern) Dead aliens at Porton Down?

“When the suits were full opened it was obvious the creatures were not of this world and, when examined, were found to be dead. What I saw in the boxes that day made me change my whole concept of life. The bodies were about five to six feet tall, humanoid in shape, but so thin they looked almost skeletal with a covering skin. Although I did not see a craft at the scene of the recovery, I was informed that a large craft had crashed and was recovered by other military units. Sometime later we joined up with other elements of our unit, who informed us that they had also transported bodies of ‘alien beings’ to Porton Down, but said that their cargo was still alive. This was the only time I was ever involved in anything of this nature. This event took place many years ago and I am now retired from the Armed Forces.” This story - some might call it a first-class yarn - still surfaces now and again. Maybe, someone else should dig deep fo the answers: real or hoax?

1968: A secret is revealed. On this specific day, Suzanne Clarke, then of Gallipolis, Ohio was told an amazing story by her father. According to the tale, Clarke’s father decided to come clean on something that he knew of the UFO phenomenon; something amazing and, if true, having a bearing on national security – a major bearing, in fact. Clarke’s father maintained that in 1965, three years earlier, and while employed at NORAD – the North American Air Defense Command at Cheyenne Mountain, Colorado – he saw, under circumstances that he declined to explain, a series of black-and-white, aerial photographs of three small, large-headed bodies strewn around a desert floor, and which also showed a large amount of silvery, bright debris. The location, Clarke’s father said, was New Mexico, and the photos were taken in 1947. Of course, this strongly suggests the now-famous Roswell affair of 1947 – although, admittedly, Clarke’s father made no reference to Roswell. Clarke was warned by her father not to reveal what he had told her until after his death – which occurred in 1981. Such was the concern, and even fear, in his voice, however, Clarke chose to remain silent until the late-1990s. So far, there has been no knock on the door from the Men in Black.

It was the night of July 13, 1968 when “Dan O.” had the great misfortune to cross paths with a Woman in Black. He was on the phone, speaking with a colleague in the UFO field, when their phone call was suddenly, and mysteriously, interrupted. Dan told UFO authority Brad Steiger: “The third party identified herself as a Mrs. Slago, who, as she said, was accidentally connected with our line. She had been listening to our conversation strictly out of curiosity.” Despite the fact that Mrs. Slago was a complete stranger and had, according to her, intruded upon the conversation by mistake, Dan decided to tell her about his UFO research, since she had at least heard snippets of what he and his friend had been talking about. As the conversation between Dan and Mrs. Slago progressed, however, the likelihood that her intrusion was all a big mistake, and nothing else, quickly evaporated. Dan’s words make that extremely clear. He told Steiger that Mrs. Slago suggested investigating UFOs was not a wise thing to do, and that the matter of UFOs possibly being of alien origin was a matter Dan should steer well clear of.

Dan continued: “She also stated that UFO organizations should not attempt to further the investigation and study of UFOs, because as she put it, ‘Earth people do not understand.’ She suddenly stopped short of what she was about to say, as if she caught herself about to say something that I should not hear.” Things then got even odder, and somewhat troubling: the woman warned Dan that he should cease his UFO investigations, that it was not wise to speak on the phone about such matters, and that her name was not Slago, after all. It was Nelson, and she worked as a “researcher” for the local police. At that point. Mrs. Slago – or Nelson – abruptly left the conversation. The story wasn’t over, however, as Dan demonstrated to Steiger: “When we checked with the police headquarters, the officers told us that they had no knowledge of either a ‘Mrs. Nelson’ or a ‘Mrs. Slago’ being connected with any phase of police research. Following this incident, we had a complete check made on our telephone lines, but the check revealed no evidence of wire-tapping or anything of that sort. A check with the telephone company revealed that a misconnection of this type could not possibly have been made.”

Perhaps some of you might like to dig into these old cases. They are still out there...just waiting to be resurrected and resolved...

Nick Redfern

Nick Redfern works full time as a writer, lecturer, and journalist. He writes about a wide range of unsolved mysteries, including Bigfoot, UFOs, the Loch Ness Monster, alien encounters, and government conspiracies. Nick has written 41 books, writes for Mysterious Universe and has appeared on numerous television shows on the The History Channel, National Geographic Channel and SyFy Channel.

Join MU Plus+ and get exclusive shows and extensions & much more! Subscribe Today!