Feb 02, 2024 I Brent Swancer

Strange Police Encounters with Aliens and Various Other Bizarre Beings

The job of police officer is mostly a noble profession to be sure. They are here to serve and protect, to deal with the dangers that lurk in the shadows and beyond the corner, and to keep us safe from the often violent world we live in. Yet do these officers of the law sometimes have to deal with dangers not only from our own world, but also those from beyond the veil of our reality? Do they sometimes have brushes with the unexplained and the paranormal, with entities beyond the scope of their understanding or their training? Apparently yes, they do. Police officers surely must see some strange things on their patrols, but nothing quite as strange as some of the reports that have come in over the years of cops who have apparently had encounters with something they cannot explain, and possibly direct contact with strange entities, some of which might lie beyond the barrier of what we know. Here we will look at some reports of high strangeness that have allegedly been made by various individuals within the law enforcement community, and which show us that this profession can be far weirder and more frightening than one might guess.

Many police encounters with strange humanoids seem to involve entities that are perhaps not of this world. From the files of paranormal researcher Albert Rosales comes a trove of such reports. One of these was originally recorded by the renowned paranormal investigator John A Keel, and takes us back to the year 1966, in the town of Gaffney, South Carolina. At around 4 a.m., two police officers by the names of C. Hutchins & A. Huskey, were driving down a murky, rural section of Gaffney known as the West Buford Street Extension when as they neared a right-angle bend in the road, and out of the darkness and into their headlights bloomed a metallic object directly in front of them. It was apparently spherical, with a wide, flat brim around it, with no visible lights or portholes on it. The rest of the report reads:

The car did not stall as the object settled to within a few feet of the ground, both men got out of their car in a state of benumbed amazement. Later Hutchins estimated that the object must have been about twenty ft in diameter. A small door suddenly opened noiselessly on the underside of the sphere, he said, and a short ladder, four to six feet long, dropped down. White light poured out of the opening, but neither man could see anything in the interior. A figure appeared in the doorway, descended the ladder, and walked slowly and deliberately toward the two police officers. When the figure reached a point about fifteen to twenty feet from the two men, it stopped. “He didn’t move stiffly,” Officer Hutchins said. “He moved just like anybody else, but kind of slow…like he was taking his time. He wasn’t scared of us or anything like that.” In appearance, the humanoid was about the size of a twelve-year-old boy, maybe four feet. He wore no helmet or headgear and was dressed in a gold suit with no buttons or zippers. His costume was shiny, like metal, in the reflection of the headlights; it was not self-luminous. The humanoid asked numerous questions and ignored the witnesses when they asked any questions. Hutchins could not remember seeing the feet of the creature. It was standing on high grass and the feet must have been hidden.

Both men could not really remember the full context of the “conversation”. Hutchins claimed the alien spoke perfect English “Didn’t have any accent or anything. He acted like he knew exactly what he was saying and doing…did not make any quick moves or false moves. He just stood there and talked to the witnesses.” He wanted to know why we were dressed alike. His speech was very precise. He pronounced each work very carefully. When asked where he was from, he just laughed. The meeting was brief, perhaps only 2 or 3 minutes. Then, Hutchins said the creature announced, “I…will…return…in…two…days” he turned, walked slowly back to the ladder, and climbed into the object. The door closed quietly, and the craft began to whirr, a soft whirring sound, like an engine with a muffler on it. The object rose slowly and vanished into the sky. A local councilman found numerous footprints at the site where the little man had stood. There was no return visit by the alien.

Also from Rosales, from the following year there is a case from Ashland, Nebraska, involving a state trooper Sgt. Herbert Schirmer, 22. He was out on patrol one cold December night to investigate reports of disturbances among the local livestock, and it seemed that it must have been a predator of some sort prowling around, but Schirmer was about to encounter something far more bizarre than that. He came across what he at first thought was a truck parked right in the middle of the road ahead, but upon approaching it he could see that it was some sort of football-shaped glowing craft of some sort, with red-lighted portholes around the circumference. The object hovered above the ground before shooting off into the night with a “fiery flash.” That seemed to be the end of it, but upon undergoing hypnosis, the tale would get weirder. The report continues:

Under hypnosis he remembered a different story. Instead of departing the object moved to a nearby field and landed on 3 legs, while his radio, lights and engine failed. Beings then approached his car; they prevented him from fleeing or drawing his revolver by a mental block, and one being sprayed the car with a greenish gas while a second being shone a bright light on him. He felt paralyzed and passed out. The beings were humanoids with thin, long heads, flat noses, slit mouths, and slanted, unblinking eyes. Standing 4 ½ to 5 feet tall, the beings had gray-white skin and wore uniforms, boots, gloves and helmets colored silvery gray. The helmet had as mall antenna and the emblem of a winged serpent appeared on the left breast of the uniform. He came to and got out of the car. One being, seemingly the leader, asked him if he was the watchman, then invited him aboard the ship. A ladder descended and the witness entered the craft. The leader asked if he wanted to see how their equipment worked and he agreed, though he really did not want to. The room inside was 20 by 26 feet and 6 feet tall, cold, and lighted by strips in the ceiling. This room contained chairs, a control panel and a viewing screen. The engine had a crystalline rotor linked to two columns. The leader demonstrated a device like a tape player which seemed to transfer data to the witness’s mind even while he conversed with his host. 

A discussion followed, with the leader using broken English and the sound seeming to come from deep inside, but the witness understood the tapes by means of telepathy. The speaker said they came from another galaxy but had bases on other planets in the solar system, beneath the sea and in the polar regions. The ship used an electromagnetic propulsion system and water to operate the ship as well as a protective field. The beings were contacting earthlings as a way to prepare them for eventual open contact and prevent them from destroying the earth. The beings also wanted to confuse earthlings somewhat. He saw images on a screen of beings standing guard outside the ship, of craft flying against a background of stars, and of a mothership in space.  At last the leader asked the witness to forget the experience, then led him out again. He returned to the patrol car and watched the ship take off. Later that night he felt sick, weak and nervous. He found a red welt on his neck, suffered a chronic buzzing in his ears, had trouble sleeping, and later left police work. During the investigation he refused to reveal some aspects of his encounter.

In 1976 there is a report from El Pedroso, Sevilla, Spain, in which three local police officers and a professor had gone out on a hunting trip when they rounded a curve in the road and saw a huge figure standing there, measuring around 2 meters (6.5 feet) tall, which also happened to be hovering in the air just above the ground. The figure apparently wore a shiny white outfit, and his facial features were not clearly visible. He also wore a white belt that had a bright rectangular light on the buckle area. As they sat there, they saw through the rearview mirror a huge, brilliant object apparently on the ground, an oval shape that emitted a dim uniform light. Afraid they decided to cancel the hunting trip and drove away from the area.

From that same year is a report from an officer Frank Ingargiola and newspaper reporter Sonny Schwartz. They were in Ventnor (Atlantic) New Jersey when they witnessed a spherical white luminous object with a bright haze around it over the boardwalk along the sea. This object seemed to be following them, and as they wondered what to do, they observed near the object a “very tall man with “immense broad shoulders” lurching down the Boardwalk in front of the car; he wore a ¾ length suede coat and a 10-gallon Stetson hat.” Several other police officers called into the area also witnessed the object and the strange intruder. What was going on here?

In 1990 there was a report from several police officers guarding the area of Lajas Airport, Puerto Rico, where the radar blimp was stored. The report reads:

One night one of the policemen noticed from a distance that there seemed to be some ‘children’ playing on the concrete platform for the anchoring of the blimp. He approached the site in his patrol car and turned on his car’s spotlight, only to see that instead of children the ones there were really several strange creatures described by him as 3 to 3ft tall, big headed and grayish in color. The small beings fled running in different directions and the policeman called by radio asking for back up, repeating the 1050 code (officer needs assistance). When help arrived, the creatures had disappeared. An extensive search was carried out, but to no avail. Some days later another group of policemen there saw a top-shaped UFO with a golden aura around it that almost landed on the aerostat premises. The next day another of the mysterious circles appeared on the ground right where the UFO was sighted. The circle was “erased” from the ground when orders were given to use a bulldozer and removed, the topsoil.

There is another otherworldly police officer report from Pennsylvania in as recently as August of 2017, who on this evening was driving along a road in a wooded location in a southwestern section of Westmoreland County, PA when he had a rather bonkers close encounter. As he made his way through the gloom of this remote place, he says he noticed the odd detail of a silvery sheen of light ahead low to the ground. As the officer approached, he then came to the startling realization that this light was emanating from a ball of light that seemed to be the head of a decidedly Bigfoot-like creature. Researcher Stan Gordon would investigate this, and says of this off-the-wall account:

The ball of light was actually the head of a very strange being that looked to be about 6 feet tall or larger. It was tall and almost skeleton thin. The officer was of the opinion that the creature when he first observed it, had been lying on its belly on the ground with its head facing toward the road. It then stood up facing the road. In that dark location, he saw the dull light from the glowing head illuminating the upper section of the body of the creature. While the officer watched, the creature turned toward the right. The dull illumination from the head lit up the shoulder area. The creature then turned and faced him, then turned to the left and took off at an incredible speed away towards a location away from the road. As it moved off, the witness could see its arms swinging. The officer indicated that it took off at a speed that you could only call abnormal. “it was faster than anything I have ever seen. It was there, then it was gone.” The witness assumed that the creature moved on two legs, however, he could not see the lower sections of the body in the dark.

The witness described what he saw as standing 6 feet or taller. The head was about 8-10 inches in diameter and shaped like a ball. He said the head was just a ball of light, possibly egg shaped but pretty round. The light emitted seemed to be just a dull white. The light illuminated the shoulders, the top of the chest and a section of the arms. The witness could not see the hands. The chest looked to be about 18 inches across. The waist appeared to be small, but the arms were abnormally long. The long limbs also looked skeletal with no muscle mass. The skin tone of the body appeared to be dull grayish-blue. The witness could not see any facial features. The entire experience only lasted about 10 seconds. The officer was confused as to what he saw and about what could move so fast. He pulled up his vehicle to the location where the creature and been standing and turned on his vehicle spotlight. He looked around the area but saw no evidence on the ground. The officer, after the experience, continued to try to make sense out of what he had encountered but he could not figure it out. I was contacted soon after the incident and we later discussed the incident in detail.

In addition to police reports of alien entities, there are those that seem to involve encounters with Bigfoot. A very well-known Bigfoot report by a police officer that made a lot of waves in its time occurred in August of 1976, in the rural area of Whitehall, New York. On this day, officer Bryan Gosselin was driving on the outskirts of town along a lonely stretch called Abair Road when he saw a massive hairy man-like creature with red eyes lumber out of the woods about 30 feet in front of him. Gosselin would describe it as standing 7 or 8 feet tall and weighing at least 400 pounds, and he was so alarmed by what he was seeing that he reportedly got out of his patrol car to train his spotlight and firearm on it, yet found himself unable to shoot. The strange beast, caught in the beam of the spotlight, then issued an unearthly shriek before barreling off into the trees, leaving behind giant footprints in a nearby field. Over the next few days, other officers would also apparently see the creature, and even Gosselin’s father and brother would see it. Gosselin would eventually write of his surreal experience in his 2018 book, Abair Road The True Story.

This would not be the end of the strangeness in Whitehall, because in February of 1982 another police officer in the area by the name of Dan Gordon and his partner had their own encounter. The two had been on duty patrolling along Route 22, half a mile from East Bay at the base of Lake Champlain, when an 8-foot-tall apelike creature ran across the road to go and climb right up a steep embankment to disappear into the brush. The creature was described as being a little different from a typical Bigfoot, in that it was long, lanky, and had narrow shoulders rather than bulging with muscles, and further details were that it slouched heavily, that had extremely long, thin gangly arms, and that it was remarkably fast and agile, beyond any human. Gordon allegedly got out of the car to try and pursue the creature as the other officer sat frozen and terrified in the car, but the beast was already long gone. The two would keep their experience to themselves for years, only going public with it in 2003, after which Gordon was interviewed about it extensively in news stories and TV programs, including Monsterquest and Mysterious Encounters, and the report appeared in the book Bigfoot Encounters in New York & New England. Gordon was described as an incredibly honest and trustworthy man, and insisted on the veracity of what he saw right up to his death in 2014.

Although these are the reports that have perhaps been most covered in the news and discussed by cryptozoologists, there are actually many other such accounts given under oath by trained police personnel. From the Bigfoot Field Researchers Organization (BFRO) archives comes a report from 1970, in Jefferson Parish, Louisiana. In Spring of that year, two police officers were called out to a home in the town of Marrero at approximately 9 PM on a report of a prowler from a terrified homeowner. The officers arrived at the scene and questioned the female homeowner, and then did a perimeter sweep of the area, even calling in a K-9 unit. As soon as the dog arrived, it apparently went absolutely nuts, very agitated and seemingly scared of something and cowering. The officers circled around the darkened house with guns drawn, now convinced that there was a trespasser lurking about the property, but what they saw was beyond anything either one of them had expected.

As they rounded the edge of the house, they apparently came to a dark form huddled against the side of the building as if hiding, but it was hulking in size, and when it moved, they could see it was not human in its massive proportions. The creature was reported by the officers as being at least 8 feet in height, very wide, and taking long strides out to the street, where it passed under a streetlight, and they could see that it was covered in dark brown hair. They apparently got a very good look at it in the light, after which it bolted towards a wooded marshy area near a canal and vanished. When interviewed by the BFRO investigator the witness would say:

The incident with the entity was officially reported in the records system of that jurisdiction. I remember that we did not emphasize the "subject" beyond describing it as "very tall, and dark in color, with no specific description of any clothing, etc". Because it wasn't wearing any clothes, and as I told you, in those days I had no idea what I was looking at. Our superiors knew from us verbally what we had seen. And then it was dropped. We handled many unexplainable incidents, as do police agencies now. The public just never hears about them. This is what I mentioned to you, about me going back 7 years later and not finding the reports. My partner died when he was just 37 years old, so we never had any chance to speak about anything again before he checked out. He was a quiet, no-nonsense guy who wasn't comfortable talking about a lot of the incidents we handled, including other "unexplainable" incidents.

Another rather intriguing account from more modern years was reported on the North American Wood Ape Conservancy, from an off-duty police officer who had a rather strange sighting in the area of Liberty County, Texas. He was traveling at night along Farm to Market Highway 1008, north of Kenefick, and right behind a big rig truck when a fleeting movement from the side of the road caught his attention. He says in his report:

I am a police officer. I was traveling northbound on FM 1008 and there was an 18-wheel truck in front of me at the time and we were traveling at approx. 55 mph. I observed a large creature in an upright position run out of the tree line on the east side of the highway. It ran in front of the big truck in front of me. The truck braked and swerved to the east side of the road and the creature was unharmed and cleared the road and ran into the tree line on the west side of FM 1008. From what I could see this creature appeared to be as tall as the cab of the 18-wheeler, maybe 8 feet and was very bulky and covered in hair. I estimated the speed at which it was running to be around 35 mph with extremely long strides. There are other police and fire services members in the Kenefick area that have seen this creature, and I have personally heard numerous stories of sightings. If I had not seen first hand, I would not have believed it myself.

Investigator Daryl Coyler would do an in-depth follow-up interview on the case with the witness and uncover some further details, of which he says:

It was the witness's perception that the figure was tall and covered with grayish hair. The witness was certain that the figure was a biped and moved extremely fast, perhaps 30 to 35 miles per hour. The witness could not recall much in the way of detail; the event was estimated to have lasted only a few short seconds. The witness was impressed by the height of the figure. Using the cab of the 18-wheeler as a gauge, the witness estimated the subject's height to be possibly as much as eight feet. Because of the figure's speed, overall size and height, and the fact that the subject nearly collided with the 18-wheeler, the witness categorically ruled out the possibility of a hoax.

In retrospect, the witness wishes that he had slowed down or even stopped to get a second or better look. He also wishes that he had flagged the big rig down somehow to get the truck driver's perspective. However, the witness told me that what he saw greatly intimidated him, and at the time, he had absolutely no plans for stopping. He carried a .45 semi-auto handgun with him, but the sidearm gave him little or no security after having witnessed such an incident.

From the following year we have a report from the BFRO in the fall of 2003, from a Toronto police officer who had a very strange encounter while off duty moose hunting near the small town of Searchmount, Ontario, Canada. In October of 2003, the witness was with his brother-in-law, and they had just finished putting out moose bait and issuing moose calls to draw their prey in at around 8 AM, and one of the animals did make an appearance, but displayed atypical behavior, as if spooked by something. Indeed, the large bull moose ran off in apparent fear. He called in his brother, and they went about seeing if they could track the animal or draw it back in. The witness sprayed some moose in heat urine around to lure the animal back and sat back waiting for something to happen. At around 1:30 PM, something certainly did happen, but this time it was no moose. The witness says:

At about 1:30pm I started hearing heavy thumps behind me every now and then. Every time I heard one, I would turn around but there was nothing there. I should mention that it was still raining. The sound of the rain hitting the ground or the leaves was quite loud but these thumps were much louder. They sounded like a stone or something heavy hitting the ground, but every time I turned around, I saw nothing.

At about 5:25pm I got off the ATV to stretch my legs and have a smoke. I put my gun on the front bag of the ATV to make sure I had it within reach and stood in front of the ATV facing the gully which was to my rear prior to this. While I was having my smoke I started hearing the distinctive sounds of footsteps coming from the gulley (snapping branches and leaves crunching). I kept my eyes on the gulley while I reached for my rifle. I thought the Bull was coming back. When I looked into the gulley about 40 yards straight in front of me I saw what I thought was a man walking towards me. He was stooped over and looked like he was having trouble walking in the bush. He grabbed a tree and swung himself around and ducked or dove down behind some thick brush. The total time of this took 3 to 5 seconds and he disappeared. He looked to me as if he was dressed all in black with a black toque or a balaclava on his head. The reason I though he was wearing a toque was his head seemed to be long at the back like a man wearing a toque. It looked like it was wearing a jacket and the front of his jacket was open half way and I could see a different color of lining showing around the neck area. It looked like it was light gray or almost blue on the chest area in the shape of a ‘V'.

I couldn't really say how tall it was because his legs were behind thick brush and I could only see to about mid thigh. But I would have guessed at the time that he was anywhere from 5'8" to 6' tall. But he was about 40 yards away and it's hard to judge height or size in the bush when you're not sure of the distance. His arms seemed too long for a man but he was extremely muscular, like a body builder with the typical 'V' shape build. There was definitely no fat on him at all. I could see the different muscle groups on his upper body and arms bulging out and could see that it had a washboard stomach. When he grabbed the tree I saw that he had hands, not paws. He swung around the tree and dove for cover as if trying to hide from me. As I said earlier, it was a dull day and was raining and he looked wet. He was covered with black or dark brown hair and it looked like the hair was stuck to him fairly closely because he was wet. What also gave me the body builder impression was that he seemed to have no neck, or he had so much muscle on his shoulders that it gave that appearance. On top of all this his shoulders were extremely broad.

The witness watched this strange figure for a time and also noticed that whatever it was was making a raspy, coughing sound as it moved, and that it began issuing a long, hoarse, sad sounding howl before disappearing into the wilderness. It was this howl that really got him to thinking that he was experiencing something very bizarre, and he says:

When I first saw it, I thought it was a man maybe lost in the bush. But my first thought was "Why isn't he wearing any orange" and "if he's lost, why doesn't he just ask for help". But the howl made me realize quickly that this was no man. The next thing going through my head was "What the hell was that?". That was no Moose. It was definetly not a Wolf or a Bear. It was like nothing I had ever seen in 35 years of hunting. What it looked like to me was a Gorilla or very close to one, but it walked upright, not on all fours. I stood there motionless for almost an hour and a half waiting to see if it would show itself again.

After a while it started to dawn on me that I may have just seen a Bigfoot and I started to get just a little scared. I normally leave the bush after dark when hunting but this night I left about a half hour prior to make sure I had lots of time. I was going to go back to that area the next day looking for that Bull but I couldn't bring myself to go anywhere near that spot. That's the first time in 35 years I have ever been afraid in the bush. Since then I have wondered if this thing I saw is what scared the Bull away. Like I said earlier, I have seen many Moose in the bush and have never seen one run from me like that. Interestingly though, from where the Bull ran off to where I saw this creature was only about 50 yards.

Another thing...I don't know if this means anything or not....Where I was sitting I saw a large, probably Moose leg bone laying on the ground about 5 feet from my ATV. It wasn't cut or sawed, it had been broken or snapped. It looked to be about at least a year old. I was supposed to sit there for the next three days to finish the hunt off and wait for that bull, and I didn’t want to be there… I’ve never been that scared in the bush in my life.

He never did bag that moose. Moving beyond aliens and Bigfoot, now we get into the territory of the truly bizarre, with cases that are really hard to classify as one thing or another.  There are several reports of odd flying humanoids reported from Albert Rosales from his files. One of these supposedly happened in January of 1976, when police officers Arturo Padilla, and Herman Galivan, who risked ridicule to report that a huge flying creature had “buzzed” their patrol car. Padilla would report:

“It must have had an enormous wingspan, for its shadow covered both lanes of the road. When it made the first pass I thought it was a small plane trying to crash land on the highway. Then it took off again and circled. We stopped the car and decided it was a bird, although the most enormous bird imaginable, with a a man-like body, and grayish or white in color!

The thing swooped over their car several more times before fading away into the night. In 2004, 21-year-old police officer Leonardo Samaniego Gallegos was patrolling a section of Alamo Street, in Valles de la Silla, Guadalupe, Nuevo Leon, Mexico when he observed what appeared to be the figure of a woman totally dressed in a black cloak-like outfit descends from a nearby tree towards his patrol car. The report goes on:

She had large black eyes without any pupils. Terrified he drove away from the area but was chased by the flying apparition. He called for assistance over his police radio. The tree the strange figure descended from was about 6 meters high. The strange flying creature approached the police car and impacted onto the front windshield pushing it inward, apparently trying to get in using what appeared to be large pointy claws. At this point Gallegos lost consciousness. In the videotaped interview officer Gallegos describes the eyes and black gown as in the news article but adds the description of a “helmet” or headpiece it was wearing that curved downward to a point at the back of the creature’s head. Also, a police officer from Santa Catarina, Jorge Contreras declared that he and two more policemen from the Regia police saw exactly the same flying being that officer Samaniego saw, but three days before. They saw it flying and decided not to say anything---until they heard about Samaniego's case. Norma Alicia Herrera who lives in Colonia La Playa declared in a TV interview that she and her brother also saw the flying humanoid at daytime and that it looked weird. She said that her brother was so stunned by the sighting that he was sick for almost a week afterwards. Another neighbor in that sector also videotaped several days before, a strange flying humanoid and gave the video to the TV station.

Also from Rosales, in the 1970-1974 edition of his book series Humanoid Encounters, there is a very odd report from the town of Amarillo, Texas, which supposedly took place in 1970. It begins with a witness claiming that he moved into a ranch with his family surrounded by a desolate landscape of sand dunes and very little vegetation. For the first few days at their new home nothing particularly strange happened, but it took a deep right turn into Bizarreville rather quickly. It started when the grandmother allegedly discovered a den of wolf cubs near the house, but when she brought the grandfather there the next day to show him her discovery it was found that the adult wolves were dead, and the cubs were nowhere to be seen. When the wolf carcasses were examined, it seemed as if they had been torn apart by something very large with formidable claws, and this understandably made them a bit wary as to what was roaming around out there in the wilds.

The next evening, the grandfather had a nightmare in which he had a premonition of intense foreboding, and a warning in his head to move away immediately. When he awoke in a cold sweat, he went out to the outhouse and as he did so he claimed to have seen a hulking humanoid figure with glowing red eyes, which seemed to be surveying the house from the dark. Interestingly, the witness’ great-grandmother also had a premonition that night, and he would say of what happened next thus:

Earlier in that very night, my great grandmother had a terrible feeling and sent my granduncle, Ray, with his family to check up on his brother. Ray was almost to the house when the car ran out of water. He remembered there was a well nearby and went to get some water. He didn't get too far when the thing with red eyes came in front of him. He ran back to the car and told his family to run to his brother's house. He grab his shotgun and Bowie knife so he could buy his family time to get away. Ray made sure the car was between him and creature. The creature charged him quickly. He shot the creature nearly point-blank range several times with no effect. He tried to stab it but almost got slashed by it's claws. Then, he ran fast as he could to the house. The creature followed but, suddenly stop short of the hill. By then, the entire family was awake and saw it on the hill staring at them. Grandfather told all the girls to get in the bed of the truck and covered them with lots of blankets and other stuff to make a barrier in case the creature jumped into the bed. The men were in the cab of the truck staring at the hulking being. They drove past it praying it didn't attack them. It's gaze was on the house. Suddenly it jumped off the hill and began to chase them. It stopped short of the line where the sand ended and grass began.

After this harrowing encounter, they went back the following day to get their things from the house, only to find the ranch owner and numerous police and “military looking” people all over the area. On top of this, it appeared as if the entire first floor of the home had been completely wrecked by something. This was all strange enough, but what really makes it even more surreal and off-the-wall is what happened when a police K-9 unit was released, and the report says of what transpired thus:

A K-9 unit went in to investigate. The first floor was totally destroyed . The second floor was the same as well. The dogs got a scent of something and started to bark at the attic door. The officers opened the door and let the dogs up it. Everybody heard the dogs fighting with something. Suddenly the dogs were thrown out the attic window like rag dolls. They were both skinned alive! The two officers inside went into attic to see what the hell it was. Everybody outside heard lots of gunfire and then saw one the officers being thrown out the window. He was dead before he hit the ground. When everybody looked back up toward the window, they saw the creature clear as day. It looked like a big bald blue-skinned man with big red eyes and sharp claws. The high ranking military man ordered its' destruction. Everybody opened fire on it and the house. Two guys threw grenades into the attic and it exploded. The house was then set on fire! Grandfather and the family left but later heard that the only body found was that of the other officer. Footprints were found leading away from the house! Nothing of it was ever heard again to their knowledge.

It is all completely and insanely bonkers, and it leaves one wondering just what truth any of it has, and if it does, then what it was they encountered. A very odd case concerns something odd lurking in dank underground tunnels, which has sort of an urban legend vibe to it but is persistent enough to warrant a look. For this one we go to the U.S. state of South Carolina, deep down into the service tunnels that spread out under the University of South Carolina, some of which date back to the 1800s, and which have long been said to be the haunt of something less than human. Sightings of something bizarre lurking down there begin in November of 1949, when a student at the university by the name of Christopher Nichols was walking along in front of Longstreet Theatre one evening when he was startled by a humanoid figure wearing a “silver suit,” who crossed the street, opened a manhole cover, and disappeared down into the tunnels below. When it hit the school newspaper, The Gamecock, they called it the “Sewer Man,” but this would not be the last sighting of whatever it was.

In April of 1950, a police officer was in the area when he had a rather frightening encounter of his own. As he went about his patrol in the same vicinity of the original sighing, he came across a pile of what looked like the discarded remains of dead chickens, still bloody, that had been mauled and mutilated by some animal. As he ran his flashlight over the scene, the beam caught the sight of a hunched over figure decked out in a silver suit in the shadows, which was described as having grey skin and being grotesque in appearance, and most oddly of all the officer reported that the thing had a third eye right in the center of its forehead. The humanoid creature allegedly scowled at the police officer and scurried down into the tunnel system below, leaving behind its macabre stash of mangled chickens.

The strange denizen of the tunnels would gain the name “The Third Eye Man,” and sightings would continue into the 1960s and 70s, with one particularly harrowing report describing the thing charging a group of university fraternity members with a lead pipe and seemingly murderous intent. With all of the reports coming in of some possibly deranged psychopath prowling the area the tunnels were thoroughly searched to find not a trace of what was being reported. In order to be safe, the tunnels were mostly sealed off from the outside world, but there are enough ways to get in for adventurous curiosity seekers, and there have supposedly been sightings of the Third Eye Man right up to the present. Considering that there is very little to verify these tales there is the distinct possibility that this is all an urban legend, but I would still stay away from those tunnels if I were you. What is this bizarre abomination? Who knows?

Perhaps weirdest of all we have an encounter with police and some sort of animated blob, which was covered in the book “Strange World,” by Frank Edwards, and allegedly occurred in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in September of 1950, as well as being notable for having been experienced by a total of four veteran police officers. The initial witnesses, officers Joe Keenan and John Collins, were on patrol one evening when as they rounded a corner on a quiet street they were met with the peculiar sight of some sort of globular mass that glittered in their headlights and seemed to be heaving itself across the road towards a nearby field. The bewildered officers stopped their patrol car and went to investigate, finding a large mass of what appeared to be a purple jelly-like substance about 6 feet across and 1 foot thick, which pulsated, quivered, vibrated, and glistened under their flashlights.

Strangely enough, the thing was reported as emitting some sort of faint dancing glow when the flashlights were turned off, as if it were bioluminescent. Considering its movements and that it even seemed to have a thick, pulsing “lip” attached to it, the officers were under the impression that this was some sort of living thing, although of what it could possibly be they had no idea. As the globular mass oozed along the two puzzled officers called in for backup, which arrived in the form of officers James Cooper and Sergeant Joe Cook, who also witnessed the unearthly sight.

At some point the four of them decided to try and lift the thing, perhaps a rather inadvisable thing to try and do considering they knew nothing of what they were dealing with, but nevertheless they purportedly surrounded the thing and began to heave it up. Much to their surprise, rather than being solid, the thing seemed to dissolve in their hands as they touched it, leaving behind globules of some sort of “odorless scum” on their skin. It is unclear if their touch had had some negative effect on the creature, but it was then that the entire bizarre purple blob began to evaporate right before their eyes until there was nothing left but a damp patch of ground. Unfortunately, they either did not think of or did not have the courage to take a sample of the thing at any point, so we are merely left with this very bizarre tale.

There are numerous other reports of the weird and the paranormal from law enforcement officers floating around out there, and here we have just looked at a selection of some of the creepiest. What in the world is going on with these cases? Is there any truth to this or are these police officers just as prone to being spooked and telling tall tales as anybody else? Regardless of whether any of these cases ever really happened or not, they are certainly creepy nevertheless, and if true show that in addition to protecting citizens from thieves, killers, and the dregs of our own reality they may sometimes have to deal with forces from beyond it as well.

Brent Swancer

Brent Swancer is an author and crypto expert living in Japan. Biology, nature, and cryptozoology still remain Brent Swancer’s first intellectual loves. He's written articles for MU and Daily Grail and has been a guest on Coast to Coast AM and Binnal of America.

Join MU Plus+ and get exclusive shows and extensions & much more! Subscribe Today!