MUPLUS+   Join Plus+ and get exclusive shows and extensions! Subscribe Today! LEARN MORE  


Advertise here now!


The Strange Disappearance of Granger Taylor

On the night of November 29, 1980, gale force winds tore through the central portion of Vancouver Island, knocking out the electricity and sending locals scurrying for shelter. In the midst of this violent storm a shy and uncannily bright young man posted a short note on his father’s bedroom door and walked out of his parents’ home leaving all of his worldly possessions behind, including $10,000. He climbed into his 1972, pale blue Datsun pick-up, drove past the flying saucer replica he had built in his backyard and was never heard from again.

This series of events, though disconcerting, are not in and of themselves particularly remarkable. What makes this case worthy of note over 30-years after the fact is the content of the letter that the man in question, Granger Taylor, left for his parent’s to read:

“Dear Mother and Father, I have gone away to walk aboard an alien ship as recurring dreams assured a 42 month interstellar voyage to explore the vast universe, then return. I am leaving behind all my possessions to you as I will no longer require the use of any. Please use the instructions in my will as a guide to help. Love Granger.”

On the opposite side of the hand scrawled letter was a contour map of Waterloo Mountain, which was located some 20-miles west of the Taylor’s property. What relation the map or the mountain may or may not have had with Taylor’s disappearance is just one of the many enigmas associated with this bizarre case.

But if we are to make an attempt to understand what circumstances led to Taylor (perhaps literally) falling off the face of the Earth, then we first need to go back to when this reclusive man was hailed as…


Frankly, there’s not a lot of information in the public forum regarding the eccentric, and evidently gifted, Granger Taylor.

Born on October 7, 1948, Taylor hailed from Duncan, Vancouver Island — a logging and fishing town, which is nestled in the Canadian province of British Columbia — and had what his friends and neighbors hailed as an astonishing aptitude for constructing and repairing all manner of mechanical devices. One of Taylor’s oldest friends, Bob Nielson, even went so far as to say: “I guess you could call him an eccentric genius.”

Taylor — who lived on his mother and stepfather’s wooded Somenos Lake property until the day he vanished — was an 8th Grade dropout, but despite this lack of education, he was considered by all who knew him to be a self-taught mechanical wizard.

After leaving school he managed to secure his first job with a neighbor as a mechanic’s assistant, but following just one year of apprenticeship Taylor struck out on his own and would remain self employed thereafter; working as a welder, a mechanic and repairing heavy machinery.

Taylor’s list of accomplishments is also extraordinarily impressive. At the tender age of 14-years he built a single cylinder automobile, which was promptly put on exhibit the Duncan Forest Museum; and at 17 he managed to rebuild a bulldozer that more seasoned mechanics had long since given up for dead. These already remarkable achievements would, in the long run, be just the tip of the proverbial iceberg.

In 1969, while still in his early twenties, Taylor painstakingly plowed a trail through over half a mile of dense forest in order to get to the ramshackle remains of a locomotive that had been abandoned during the Great Depression and left to rot. What was left of the train was in a sorry state; its trucks and drive shafts had been scavenged back in WWII and a tangle of trees had grown through its rusted frame.

Taylor extricated the engine from the almost impenetrable undergrowth and managed to drag it back to his parent’s residence; a site which had gained the affectionate title of “Sleepy Hollow Museum,” due in no small part to the fact that the overgrown yard was riddled with old tractors, a bulldozer, train parts dilapidated cars and steam pots from donkey engines, most of which Taylor had discovered while exploring the Cowichan Valley scrub.

In less than 2-years — with nothing more than his intellect, moxie, tools, freight car trucks and power transmission components at his disposal — Taylor managed to restore the locomotive to its former glory. In 1973, the Province of British Columbia purchased the steam engine and sent it out to tour with the Museum Train before putting it on display at the B.C. Forest Discovery Center.


It wasn’t long before the introspective and unassuming Taylor transformed from an awkward boy into a 6-foot 3-inch, 240 lbs. bear of a man who his friends took to calling: “Gentle Ben.” Although his body changed, Taylor’s mind remained focused on understanding the nature of motion technology and his next passion would be for machines that were capable of flight.

Taylor got his pilot’s license and bought a vintage Kitty Hawk warplane, which he restored. For two years the airplane was displayed outside a store on the Island Highway until it was sold to a restorer of vintage aircraft from Manitoba in 1981 for $20,000. Taylor’s parents, Jim and Grace, put the money in Granger’s bank account with the other $10,000 he had left untouched before his inexplicable departure.

While planes, trains and automobiles clearly intrigued Taylor when he was young, it wasn’t long before he was able to understand their functions and become a master of their assembly… it was then that he evidently became bored.

Always seeking something new to test his vast intellect and mechanical prowess, the now respected craftsman turned his attention to a new — and for many incomprehensible — challenge; the seemingly unsolvable question of how UFOs could perform the aerial feats that so many eyewitnesses have claimed to have seen and (even more importantly) what it was that powered their ostensibly interstellar journeys.

To this end, Taylor built himself a quasi-futuristic sanctuary beneath the lofty fir trees not far from the house he shared with his parents on the marshes of Somenos Lake; a place which would come to be known as…


During the later portion of the 1970’s, according to his stepfather, Taylor — using his colossal industrial acumen — spent over half a year constructing and welding a “life-sized” replica of a flying saucer out of spare parts he’d found.

In his 1985 book “In Advance of the Landing: Folk Concepts of Outer Space,” Douglas Curran described the fantastic domicile: “He [Taylor] built his spaceship out of two satellite receiving dishes and outfitted it with a television, a couch, and a wood-burning stove. He became obsessed with finding out how flying saucers were powered, spending hours sitting in the ship thinking and often sleeping there.”

In an article published in the March 18, 1985, edition of Times-Colonist, titled: “Is Vanished Son Adrift in Space?” journalist Derek Sedenius described the then decrepit state of the once cherished haven:

“The silver spaceship sits on metal pillars under the trees at Jim and Grace Taylor’s farm near Duncan. Its aluminium-plate ramp door is ajar and broken — the Taylors suspect from children playing — but inside, the large old sofa, pot-bellied stove, and plywood sleeping ledge are much the way their son, Granger, left them.”

The furnished Saucer swiftly became Taylor’s “home-away-from-home” and once he got settled into his new refuge, he embarked on what would be his first meticulous stages of…


As he had no access to the “real thing,” Taylor began his research into the UFO phenomenon by collecting all of the books that he could get his hands on, which was an easy enough task in the 1970’s.

He then entrenched himself inside his welded steel shelter and began the arduous task of trying to understand the machinations of UFOs based solely on eyewitness accounts and pseudo-scientific hypotheses that the authors of these books put forward regarding the unusual aircraft.

In fact, years after their son’s disappearance, the Taylors’ still held onto a box overflowing with Taylor’s books on the subject of UFOs and unknown energy sources; such as Frank Edward’s, “Flying Saucers — Here and Now,” “From Outer Space,” “Black Holes” and “What We Really Know about Flying Saucers.”

It wasn’t long before Taylor’s new hobby transformed into a full-fledged obsession. When he went out socially the topic of how spaceships were powered was never far from “Gentle Ben’s” mind and his friends conceded that he never hesitated to bring the subject up.

Like happens with many highly gifted people, Taylor’s fascination with this issue may have eventually waned as other subjects of interest cropped up, but it seems as if fate — or perhaps something slightly more tangible, though no less ethereal — had something else in mind. Taylor confided to his friend Nielsen that during one of his periods of self-imposed isolation aboard his saucer he received what can only be referred to as…


While lying on the makeshift cot in his metallic refuge, Taylor claimed to have come into telepathic contact with an extraterrestrial entity who hailed from beyond the Milky Way.

This, for anyone who has studied ufological (particularly contactee) lore, is considered to be a common, though exceedingly difficult to prove, occurrence between human beings and alien explorers. Nielsen would later describe to reporters what his old friend had disclosed to him a mere month before he vanished:

“He said it happened when he was in bed. He lay there and got mental communications with somebody from another galaxy… He couldn’t see them. I said they can’t just be mental, but he said it was like they were talking just to him and to his mind. He was asking questions about the means for powering their crafts. The only thing they would tell him was it was magnetic.”

A few days following this first — admittedly bizarre — revelation, an elated Taylor informed Nielsen that the disembodied voice had once again visited him in his saucer and this time the alien being invited him to go on a “trip through the solar system.”

Taylor excitedly explained that he would not be informed until the end of the month as to where he would be picked up, but when the location of the rendezvous was revealed to Taylor he evidently chose (or was instructed) not to divulge this to his parents of friends.

Despite the fact that his friends had no idea when or where his alleged date with destiny would take place, Taylor made no pretense at concealing his exhilaration about the coming journey and all that he was going to learn about the alien’s technology during his “42 month interstellar voyage.” According to Nielsen, Taylor was “thrilled” by the prospect of his approaching interplanetary odyssey. Taylor’s friends — most of who suspected that this overreaction to a weird nightmare was just another manifestation of Taylor’s eccentricity — humored him. According to Nielsen:

“Everyone thought the trip was just a dream, but nobody entirely discounted Granger’s stories… He was such an unusual sort of guy.”

Nevertheless, Sedenius reported that just a week before Taylor’s enigmatic exodus, he took a bunch of his buddies out for a ruckus night on the town for what was intended to be a “sort of a going-away party.”


On Friday, November 28, the evening before what would be considered by many to be Taylor’s last night on Earth (one way or another) the young man entered his stepfather Jim’s bedroom and had a long discussion with him. He expressed his affection and gratitude for all the man had done for him over the years. Jim had no idea that this would be his last conversation he would ever have with his stepson.

Taylor’s mother, Grace, was not on hand to speak with him as she was in Hawaii taking the first vacation she’d had in years. She would forever regret not being home that turbulent November evening.

Without the knowledge of his parents or friends, Taylor prepared two wills with detailed instructions as to how his parents should distribute his possessions. Interestingly, the word “deceased” was scratched out on the wills only to be replaced by the word “departed.”


At about 6:00 p.m., on that fateful Saturday eve that would change the lives of so many in the town of Duncan, Taylor entered Bob’s Grill for dinner. Taylor’s appearance raised no eyebrows as he had been a regular at the curbside diner for years.

The last person to come forward and admit to seeing Taylor was a woman who was working in the Grill’s kitchen by the name of Linda Baron. Baron would later tell authorities that she had seen him enter and dine by himself, but was unable to recall if anyone had tried to engage Taylor in conversation. According to Sedenius, Baron did remember what the solitary genius was wearing, especially considering that as bright as everyone knew he was, he was clearly not prepared for the oncoming storm:

“She remembered he wore a brown knitted sweater zipped up front, a black T-shirt (he was never without), jeans and logger boots. He didn’t have his winter coat. Strangely, [Jim] Taylor discovered the coat a couple of days later inside the sturdy doghouse that Granger built for his huge Newfoundland dog, Lady.”

Baron then testified that Taylor paid his bill and left the restaurant at about 6:30 p.m., just as the storm was starting to tear through Duncan and the neighboring cities. It would be the last that known human eyes would ever fall on the extraordinary, burly 32 year old machinist.

That same night hurricane force winds were reported in Port Alberni and power lines were downed throughout Duncan and the surrounding area, swathing the entire the region in impenetrable darkness. By dawn the next day the citizens of Duncan were picking up the debris left behind by the storm and they were also picking up a rumor that was swiftly spreading through the town — that Granger Taylor had vanished off the face of the Earth.


Understandably concerned about his boy’s situation — and, more than likely, his metal state — Jim Taylor contacted the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) in order to help find his son.

The RCMP responded immediately, but after what Corporal Mike Demchuk described as “exhaustive checks” of hospital, passport, employment, and vehicle records not a single clue as to Taylor’s whereabouts could be discovered. According to Cpl. Demchuk: “Granger’s name has been put on the national police computer system. And the motor vehicle branch in Victoria has been alerted in case Granger’s driver’s license, which expires this October, is renewed.”

After Taylor had been gone for more than 4-years, Demchuk admitted that what had perplexed him most regarding this mystifying case was the fact that the 1972 Datsun pick-up truck that Taylor had ostensibly used to travel to his “engagement” was still missing. Demchuk stated:

“One would expect the car at least to be found. You just don’t get rid of something that large without someone knowing about it.”

Knowing that it may well hold the key to his disappearance, the Taylors would, throughout the 1980s, occasionally take out newspaper ads offering a $100 reward for anyone finding their son’s missing vehicle. They never received any responses, but the truck’s registration expired in 1981, convincing many RCMP investigators that it was likely no longer on the road.

According to Time-Life books’ 1992, “Mysteries if the Unknown, Alien Encounters,” the remnants of Taylor’s truck (described inaccurately as being “pink”) were found on an unnamed mountain sometime in 1986:

“Six years later, the truck was found on a mountain near Duncan, apparently blown to bits in what must have been a massive explosion. But Taylor’s body was never found.”

The Wikipedia entry on Mount Sicker, a relatively small mountain not far from Duncan, includes a short mention of the Taylor case that seems to, at least in part, corroborate some of the Time-Life books’ assertion:

“Mount Sicker may contain the answer to a local UFO mystery. In late November 1980, Granger Taylor, an unconventional genius and UFO fanatic, left his family a note saying he was going to travel on an ‘alien ship’ for ‘a 42 month interstellar voyage’ and he and his pickup truck were never seen again. Many years later, local newspapers reported that a logger on Mount Sicker spotted a crater in the ground and metal debris embedded in a tree. It is believed that Granger was carrying explosives in his truck at the time of his disappearance.”

It seems unclear, at least without confirmation from the RCMP, if the vehicle debris allegedly found on Mount Slicker (it it really was from an automobile) has anything whatsoever to do with Taylor’s disappearance. But even assuming it does, the lack of any body on the scene just adds to the inscrutability of this case.


It’s worth noting briefly that the region that Taylor hailed from was no stranger to the UFO mystery. In fact, one of the most intriguing and best documented flaps in UFO history occurred in the area just 10-years before.

The events began at 11:59 pm. on New Year’s Eve, 1969, just miles from the Taylor home at the Cowichan District Hospital.

A nurse by the name of Doreen Kendall was tending to her patients when she and three other nurses saw a “Saturn shaped” UFO with two humanoid occupants hovering outside the window. Thus began an astonishing spate of sightings, which I chronicled in my article: “Night Shift Nurses and the Flying Saucer Men.”

It would be hard to believe that a presumably extraterrestrial encounter of this magnitude happening so close to home would not have a lasting effect on  the youngster’s curiosity regarding UFOs and their occupants. I have very little doubt that these events planted a seed within Taylor that was destined to germinate in some form or another at some point down the line.

It’s even a remote possibility that the same faceless saucer pilots seen by Kendall in 1969, may have taken a liking to the region and become intrigued by the studious human who was so eager to learn about their technology. But assuming he was not picked up by extraplantary vessel, then the big question that remains is…


There is, of course, no way to come to any definitive conclusion regarding the fate of Granger Taylor with the meager evidence at hand… and if someone out there has more information please come forward with it! Most of the hard data I’ve been able to dig up surrounding this case comes from newspaper clippings and UFO books from the 1980s and early 90s, which hardly constitutes concrete proof of anything other than a good campfire story!

Now we need to take a look at some of the more prosiac possible explanations for his disappearance, and the first one that comes to mind is that Taylor, for reasons we can only surmise, decided to take his own life, and in his final days perpetuated a bizarre and (for his parents, at least) unnecessarily cruel hoax intended to leave those he left behind perplexed and maybe just a bit comforted by the fact that he was flitting around the cosmos with actual extraterrestrials.

Lending credibility to this supposition is the fact that someone planning on being gone for only three-and-a-half years — while they might be likely to get rid of a few odds and ends — would almost certainly not give away all their possessions. But if that proves to be the case then where is his body? Why was it not found in the wreckage on Mount Slicker — if, indeed, they genuinely were the remains of Taylor’s car?

Did Taylor decide that he wanted to get away from it all and start over in a new place? If that was so, then why not just move? In 1980, $10,000 in the bank would not be a bad way to begin a new chapter in life and he surely could have found a job anywhere he decided to go as a machinist or mechanic. What would have prevented him from picking up his roots and transposing them elsewhere?

Even if he honestly felt that his only way out was to fake his own death, then why would he leave all of his money behind and concoct such a peculiar story about the telepathic alien and a 42 month journey? It’s almost certain that this odd tale (if it were nothing but a made-up story) would only serve to humiliate his beloved parents in their small community. It simply doesn’t add up.

Neither his friends, family nor law enforcement officials have ever made any mention of any drug or alcohol abuse, so that would seem to be out, but is it possible that Taylor — as happens to some geniuses — lost his grip on reality while ensconced in his handcrafted saucer? Perhaps he was suffering from an undiagnosed metal illness that finally manifested itself in the form of a telepathic E.T.

Maybe he destroyed his truck and slipped into the forest on that stormy, black night fully expecting his alien tour guide to arrive, only to succumb to the brutal elements while waiting in vain for the celestial lights to shine down on him. There are lots of remote areas on Vancouver Island and Taylor’s bones might be just one errant hiker away from being exposed. Of course, the other possibility is that he was simply…


While it’s easy to surmise that Granger Taylor was either suffering from some sort of mental breakdown or merely trying to escape his life, there is the chance that he was of sound mind and he had a very peculiar experience; one which he decided to embraced rather than run away from.

Is it just remotely possible that Taylor actually did have a run-in with a benevolent alien that took a shine to his natural curiosity and invited the human to join him on a voyage to the stars the likes of which, perhaps, has only been enjoyed by Steven Spielberg’s “Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind” alter ego, Roy Neary? The simple fact that Taylor left his coat behind on such an inclement evening would indicate that he truly believed that wherever he was going, he would not need to bundle up.
Dr. Max Edwards, a linguist and former professor at the University of Victoria, believed that this was the case. As did Duncan resident and publisher, John Magor, who said: “There have been reported cases of aliens taking humans on rides in saucers in other parts of the world; why not here, then?”

Whatever happened to Granger Taylor during that horrific tempest back in the autumn of 1980, remains a mystery to this day, but there can be no doubt that this event was a tragedy for those who loved Granger Taylor, particularly his mother who never got to say goodbye. For years the Taylors’ left their son’s bedroom untouched and the plaques and trophies he had accrued over the years were never removed from the cupboard door.


The only thing that we know for a fact is that on the evening of November 29, 1980, Granger Taylor vanished, seemingly without a trace. On May 29, 1984, Granger Taylor’s 42 month expedition was supposed to come to an end and his parents — who had kept the backdoor unlocked for nearly 4-years — were eagerly awaiting their son’s promised return… he never came home.

In the final analysis,  the case of Granger Taylor is an intriguing mystery from the backwaters of ufology, but perhaps the whole muddled story can best be summed up in the words of Jim Taylor:

“I can hardly believe Granger’s off in a spaceship, but if there is a flying object out there, he’s the one to find it.”

Let’s hope that he did just that… and that somewhere out in the inky blackness an Earthling by the name of Taylor Granger is having the experience of a lifetime soaring out amongst the stars… even if he is a little late getting home.

 TAGS: , ,

  • Tarquin Rees
  • Sami Booth

    I get why he left his jacket in the kennel, he wanted his dog to be comforted by his scent. Although I’d prefer the thought of a happy story of intergalactic travel with an Alien BBF, his actions immediately before the disappearance do tend to look like those of someone looking to check out permanently rather than stepping away for a couple of years. He also sounds like a savant, a genius, single and living at home at 32? Depression, suicidal tendencies, and a very clever man’s misguided belief that his parents would be comforted by the thought he was out there somewhere rather than dead by his own hand? Timed on his Mum’s first ever holiday? She wouldn’t be there to change his mind? Or just a fabricated story dreamt up by a very imaginative small town journo? Very innerrrresting

  • Tarquin Rees

    I am interested too in why he was driving a car full of explosives….

  • Rob Morphy

    Excellent find, Tarquin! I was looking for something like this. The article said that the “RCMP is assuming” that the bones were Taylor’s – I wonder if they were ever able to confirm this. Considering the state of forensic investigation in the mid-80s, I would not be surprised if the the remains got filed away without any definitive answers. Either way, it seems as if Taylor’s “departure” was likely a tragic one.

  • Rob Morphy

    Sadly, Sami, I think you’re on the right path. Most of the circumstantial evidence does point toward suicide… but hope springs eternal.

    One thought that didn’t occur to me until just now is the (admittedly small) possibility that Taylor killed himself in order to come into contact with E.T. – not unlike Marshall Applewhite’s “Heaven’s Gate” cult; 39 members of which committed suicide in 1997 in order to reach what they believed to be an alien craft hiding in the tail of the Hale-Bopp Comet. Perhaps Taylor suffered from a similar delusion or, even more terrifyingly, maybe there’s some nefarious force in the vast unknown with a penchant for talking lonely and estranged individuals into doing the unthinkable with the promise of a brighter future. I shudder to think.

  • J.Griffin

    Well,if the report is accurate that his bone fragments were found at the truck wreckage site,
    then the only questions are his motivation and state of mind.

    Sad story if the report is accurate.

  • J.Griffin

    if the truck was in fact his and the bones were human then if they weren’t his bones then the story would be even stranger.

    The RCMP didn’t sound too concerned about it.

    Again,if the story was accurate.

  • Ronald Pate

    Saying that it wouldn’t have made sense for him to tell his parents that he would be back in 42 months if he was planning to kill himself is only true for someone that is not delusional. For God sake this man thought that aliens were going to pick him up and take him for a tour of the Universe. These are not the thoughts of an intirely rational person.
    Perhaps he thought, like the cult in California who all commited mass suicide, that his death would join him with the aliens. Perhaps he thought something else entirely. After all, crazy doesn’t have to make sense to the rest of us… it just does its own thing for its own reasons.

  • Herbert

    how long would it be on earth if you were traveling the speed of light for 42 months? He may still return

  • roxy

    Our life experiences could merely be a tasty “hi” for these entities, beings from other worlds, dimensions, evolution to subgod status’s! Human civilization seems to be guided, controlled, to bring about the best of these experiences – a society of perfect “bliss” will certainly benefit all that we know as reality maybe only humans can experience what is sough after (love, beauty, humor etc.) or once experienced, but due to technological achievements and evolution, as would be the case with ET’s, can no longer. The paranormal and ufo-ology seem to have common characteristics, deceitfulness and a shadowy presence that has no real intention of revealing themeselves to humanity, despite what they claim they can do for the good of civilization

  • Don Buckner

    I new Garnger,I was introduced to him by my friend ( the late ) John Jacobs whom lived at Grangers place in Duncan . John was a long time friend of mine and shared many stories of his UFO experience’s with me . I traveled with John across north america & mexico he was a dear friend and a honest man. I believed what he said . I still have John’s body ashes at my resident’s as he made me his only next of kin.I visited Granger’s saucer on many occasion’s as I lived in Duncan BC for some years ,and visited with Granger from time to time …he was quite the dude,. shut the front door the RCMP are clueless there’s more much more

  • Stephen Eagle

    Don’t see in the text where it is definitively shown that he was hauling dynamite. Suicide is not on the table here. Your clue, you may have missed—–magnetism. Don’t be distracted by bells and whistles, stay the course for the proper resolution.

  • David McKee

    I suspect that if he blew himself up his body parts would be scattered about and the animals would have eventually made off with them. But wouldn’t the explosion have been heard?

  • Vlhxx of Fronobulax

    While I strongly believe we’re not alone in the galaxy, Occam’s Razor can slice away the possibility of a UFO abduction leaving suicide or an accident as a much more likely explanation.

    And at the risk of sounding like the nit-picky teacher I once was, please, Mr. Morphy – numbers are NOT hyphenated. E.g. it’s “14 years”, not “14-years”.

  • GordonSh

    Picking the weird duration of 3 1/2 years (as opposed to 3-4 years, a while, some straight number of years etc.) for a journey across the universe, to answer all his long held questions, and expressing it as “42 months” instead of 3 1/2 years is certainly interesting, considering “The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy” came out just a year before his disappearance. Just saying.

  • meatwad_SSuppet

    He forgot to bring a towel.

  • Tim Kindred

    There is also the possibility that he was hauling some dynamite in order to blast a space for the ship to land. He might well have accidentally set it off. Dynamite, if that’s what he was using, can become unstable after some time and become unstable. Heck, if it’s warm enough, you can cause the dynamite to actually sweat out nitroglycerine that is VERY prone to detonation via shock or static electricity.

    Who really knows what happened. I am happy to believe he really is out “there” somewhere, but that’s the optimist in me.

  • Dana

    I should think that if his vehicle was found, in pieces, then wouldn’t his body, or bones be near by. Has anyone actually gone out to search for bones in the area where the vehicle parts were found?

  • Ray Williams

    Just out of curiosity, Rob, are you planning to do any follow up investigations? Like maybe contacting the RCMP to determine what, exactly, happened to the bones and whether or not they were ever DNA tested? The story was, to say the least, intriguing; however, if I were a journalist and had written it, I’d be quite interested to do some follow up investigation. One more thing, did you ever check to see if the man had a history of mental, other problems; did he ever seek or was given therapy or counseling? I’m obviously just as perplexed as others; however, for some reason/s, I don’t think Taylor was the least bit suicidal!

  • Chuck Goodson

    I’m not familiar with the area where this took place, however if it were remote, and if there were lighting happening during the storm, the “boom” of the explosives could have been mistaken by the ones who might have heard it. Also, the lighting strike could have been the ignition factor of said explosives. Even though most times a vehicle won’t attract lighting, if it struck a near by object such as a tree and his vehicle were close enough, there could have been more than enough of a spark arcing to the bed of the truck to cause the explosion.

  • Jules

    So, Don, what do you think happened to Granger?

  • Andreas

    You hit the nail on the head, Sami. Granger’s disappearance was not about UFO’s, but about existential loneliness.

  • Rob Morphy

    Ray, at this time I have no plans to follow up this story as there are always new mysteries to explore and projects to undertake (as well as deadlines to make), although it’s not out of the question down the line. I’m definitely interested in the answers to these questions, however, if only to create a more complete picture regarding who Granger was (is) and to see if this story has an genuine epilogue. I can state for the record that I never root for tragedy, so no matter what the “truth” is, I hope he was able to find the answers to the questions that so obviously haunted him.

  • Rob Morphy

    Thank you, Dave – I really appreciate your kind words.

  • Rob Morphy

    As a former student who, much to my teachers’ chagrin, barely scraped by in all my writing assignments, I am always appreciative of any corrections I can get, especially from “nit-picky teachers.” …Now I’m worried that that was a run on sentence. The pressure is back on, dang it! ;)

  • Red Pill Junkie

    And if you take a stroll with the fairy folk, what may seem like a couple of hours might turn out to be a couple of centuries after you return.

    …If they let you return at all.

  • Red Pill Junkie

    It’s a rather common thread among some Contactees, that they can discard their ‘mortal coil’ in other to hitch a ride on an interstellar spacecraft.

    I wrote a movie review for Silver Screen Saucers in which I discussed the Spanish film Platillos Volantes. It’s based on a true account too! You might find it interesting:

  • Red Pill Junkie

    Or maybe he wasn’t deceived by his own subconscious, but by a real discarnate entity, using the old Trickstery tactics they always manifest in the long history of Contactism and Spiritualism.

  • Red Pill Junkie

    This story reminded me of another eccentric genius, who had a terrible explosive accident of his own –and who, according to some, was trying to get in contact with non-human beings:

    The infamous Jack Parsons.

  • Adam

    There are certain sections of certain agencies that keep an eye on emerging geniuses, so that their intelligence and ability may always be kept under control and/or taken advantage of for their own agendas. As far as these groups are concerned; technological progress cannot be left in the hands of ‘common’ inventors, and Taylor may have displayed a mind that was too far ahead of its time.

    In short; he may have displayed an ability to conceptualize, and even build technology that the ‘world wasn’t ready for’ yet, making him a ‘national security threat’. We’ve seen this many times with other inventors.

    Using Voice-to-Skull technology, they could easily have spoken directly into his mind, and (knowing of his fascination UFO’s), given him the ‘alien’ story, when in reality they were luring him out to be picked up and detained by one of these agencies in a remote location. Whether they interrogated and then disposed of him, or gave him a new life and put him to work in their own ‘UFO projects’, we can only speculate.

    We know that top military-industrial projects have had these kinds of ‘UFO’ technologies since the 1940’s, and that these organizations have inducted the brightest and most technically gifted people into their programs, to further develop the technology and create a secret lineage of understanding.

    This explanation makes more sense to me, because it fits a similar pattern, and can be explained in earthly terms, with earthly technology. The alien story is just a bit too cartoonish for me, although I am sure it would have been highly effective on someone like Taylor, who wanted to believe, and was not aware how far human technology had already come.

  • Jim Locker

    after the trip he would have to stay with the aliens or die he would not be allowed to return to earth with all the information it would have been a one way trip telling him he would return was a trick to get him to go with them he is alive or dead but he will never come back

  • Jonathan Slater

    Speed of light is 186,282 miles per second.
    Seconds in a year (60*60*24*365) = 31536000 seconds
    Light year 186,282 * 31536000 =5.874589152 * 10^12 miles
    Number of hours it would take at 50000 mph: 5.874589152 * 10^12 / 50000 = 117491783.04 hours
    Divide that by number of hours in a year 117491783.04/(365*24) = 13,412.304 years

    So in all – we wouldn’t see him return.

  • Tyler Warkentine

    Meh. What could the government be secretly creating that they’re just keeping to themselves? Clearly it doesn’t involve space travel as there’s no need to hide that. NASA and most other space agencies have very little funding. The government just wants to make money. I’d sooner believe that aliens have taken him to preserve him to bring back alive later in the future. At that point we would have the technology to allow him to build space crafts capable of faster the light travel or something like that.

  • Guest

    He should be back soon, based on the Theory of Time and relativity. If he were traveling at the speed of light or 99% of the speed of Light 1 year on the spacecraft would approx 20 years on Earth. So if he vanished in 1980. That sums up to a timeframe of 2010-2015.

  • Chad Sanborn

    Ok you guys. Here’s the most likely scenario. He was going to use the dynamite to blast himself into an orbit and get picked up by the aliens. He probably lit the fuse expecting to be launched like a rocket. Instead he was blown to bits. Its sad that his genius came with a price. That of delusions of grandeur. I bet he was in the beginning stages of schizophrenia. The voices were probably just his overactive brain and he took what it said at face value. “Get X amount of dynamite, place it under the drivers side of the truck and light the fuse at precisely 10pm. Truck will be launched into a low earth orbit and we will be there to scoop you up.” He did it and it cost him dearly.

  • Joseph Mason

    The ETs often include symbolism in their encounters with humans. The key
    here is 42 months, which appears in Revelation 11:2. and 13:5. It is one of many symbols showing the “three and a half” midpoint of the seven chakras, i. e., the heart chakra. The crop circle formations have been displaying the same sort of thing for years.

    The confirming connection is Elijah’s ascension into the heavens —

    He also prayed that it would not rain for three years six months. More
    information can be found here —



  • Jen

    I think that this story would be much more interesting if there were a photo of this man. As it is I don’t know whether I believe it any of it.

  • Cho Batres

    I was thinking that as I read :)

  • Sir Hugh Barst

    Earth is the realm of Earthlings and here they must remain…strange tale indeed.

  • Paul Ambrose Hynes

    Did Granger Taylor go missing thinking he was about to be departed with his alien friends in space and along the way get court up in another unsolved mystery??

  • whitneyrose

    With someone as learned about mechanics and the way things work, don’t you think he would be smart enough to know loading your truck up with explosives in order to ‘launch’ into the air as you assume would not work? This is a strange story but you would think this man would know that doing something like that would not work at all and would cost him his life. It’s very possible he had mental illness, but I don’t think that theory is very plausible. JMO.

  • JiggyPotamus

    Interesting story. I think some posters are placing too much emphasis on “driving around with dynamite.” There was never any proof that he was driving around with dynamite. First of all, those who knew him would have known if he had an interest with explosives. A very small percentage of your average people will actually have explosives, and most of them only because they use it in their line of work. It is odd for an average person to have heavy explosives like this. So we need to find out if he did play with these types of things in the first place.

    All that the article stated was that a logger found a crater in a remote location on a mountain, and that there was metal strewn about and even lodged in a tree. This does mean a very high impact velocity, and naturally one would figure explosives. Not really any other explanation. But, I doubt it was ever proven the metal was from his vehicle. I bet it was all speculation. So to dismiss this case as “he blew himself and his truck up” is simply illogical.

    And like someone else said, suicidal people display certain symptoms; they have problems of some sort that, if overlooked, are readily apparent after the fact much of the time. This is just in general. It is possible for someone to internalize everything, but from what I’ve read this guy seemed to be relatively stable. Eccentricity does not equate with instability or mental illness all of the time.

    Look, I could understand concluding suicide IF those who knew him can attest to whether he was possibly unstable. IF he had problems, and IF he played with dynamite, I think that would go a long way towards the hypothesis that I am referring to. But where things stand now, I don’t think we can say the he most likely committed suicide.

    But it is interesting to note the possibility that there have been others who thought that through taking their own life they would be united with aliens. But like has been noted, why would he say he was coming back? If he was not unstable mentally, then this becomes even more of an issue imo. I personally believe that the most likely explanation is that he succumbed in the woods somewhere, as it is easy to do. He was not equipped, to my knowledge, for the elements, and there was a horrible storm. Not finding a body is not strange by any stretch of the imagination in that parituclar country. If bigfoot can hide there, enough said, lol.

    The truck is another matter altogether though. It is difficult to get a truck into thick woods without roads or trails, so if it is in the woods, one would think someone would have found it. But then again, not necessarily. It could be out there somewhere. Or maybe it was in that crater. But without something to even suggest it was a vehicle in the first place, we are spinning our wheels, pun intended.

  • Cdb Spender

    Many years later, local newspapers reported that a logger on Mount Sicker spotted a crater in the ground and metal debris embedded in a tree. It is believed that Granger was carrying explosives in his truck at the time of his disappearance. RCMP reported that the debris contained a VIN number matching Granger’s truck and that it was an apparent suicide.

  • Lisa Thanatos

    i like this story,except for his parents harmed.but it can happen,i heard a voice after seeing ufo just stopped dead above my roof,telling me to go to park of your own free 2am ish.i got dressed,shaking so badly ,I had to take my dog I was so scared.could barely walk 30ft my highs shaking so bad.we walk halfway into park,ahead I see a row of white lights,scared ,wanting to go back,but behind us a grouped up bunch white fear.then it suddenly melted away.2 days later we wake up in bed,my shoes and coat still on.i tried hypnosis,she said I kept jumping out of it.

  • HabPR33 .

    I was born and raised in Duncan and never heard about this famous story .I have been on Mt Sicker many times . I have heard that Mt Sicker is cursed and there are also many tales associated with the mountain . I’ve heard stories of a headless woman walking up to parked vehicles holding her head to the windows looking for the man who beheaded her . I’ve also heard of weird fogs and apparition’s seen on the Mountain . There have been UFO claims reported on the mountain . There are also frequent Sasquatch claims made on Mt Sicker including a well documented case from a few years ago .So as far as this story goes , it fits with the many strange occurrence’s which are reported on the mountain .

  • R. A.

    [citation needed]

  • R. A.

    This article is linked at, author David Paulides’ site for the “Missing 411″ series of books. I read Mysterious Universe all the time, but came to this particular story while going through all the various links to strange missing persons cases at Paulides’ site. Thought you might like to know.

  • R. A.

    It says “Until further evidence is found, RCMP is assuming they[the bones] are Taylor’s.”

    What that sounds like, to me, is they are not going to try and prove the bones are Taylor’s, but that they shall nevertheless assume they are his bones and close the case. The “until further evidence is found” is pure sophistry; who is going to be looking for further evidence in a closed case? Not the RCMP…and I’d bet if some kind of “further evidence” was actually found, well, that couldn’t possibly be evidence in the Taylor case, because that case is closed.

    I apologize for my cynicism, but it is based on experience. The way the article you linked is worded does not give me confidence that officials were seeking the truth. They were just seeking an excuse to divest themselves of any responsibility to continue seeking the truth, and that is precisely what they did.

  • bdoon

    It is obvious that Sasquatch made off with the lad. As Sasquatch is often appearing in the Pacific NW and the vamps and werewolves are pretty humane ala “Twilight”, it had to be Sasquatch. I do not know how anyone can actually believe in flying saucers!

  • sam

    that would make sense that he chose to commit suicide in that manner on one of the stormiest nights of the decade, knowone would be able to hear the explosion. well done wiki you never cease