Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! To get the free podcast head to the podcast page and subscribe through iTunes or RSS.
The feed limited to the 8 most recent shows to keep the file size of the RSS feed manageable. It also protects us against piracy of our content by limiting the amount of shows someone would have access to via our feed.
You can get the rest of the Plus+ shows from the current season by heading to your Dashboard. If you want to get a show that is outside of the current season you can purchase the back catalogue from the Store.
Since the the most recent update of iTunes we have seen a bug occurring with some user’s Plus+ feeds. Please note that if you are on the “My Podcasts” view you will not see the error below, you will how ever notice that your podcast feed will not automatically update on occasion. It is the same issue, the error only appears in the “List” view.
If you keep seeing an exclamation point next to your Plus+ feed and the error below please log into your Dashboard for detailed instructions on how to edit your feed to avoid this issue.
Once you have done the fix found on your dashboard, click the refresh icon above your feeds multiple times until it populates.
We are currently investigating what is causing this but as of now believe it is simply a bug with how the new version of iTunes handles authenticated podcast feeds.
Pocket Casts is one of the best podcasting apps available on Android and works very well with the Plus+ Membership.
Just follow the steps below to add your feed to the app:
Edit the Plus+ RSS feed with your username and password:
Example 1: http://username:[email protected]/feed/muplussq/
Example 2 (veteran members with emails as usernames):
The “@” symbol is replaced by “%40”. So [email protected] will be:
Tap the search icon in Pocket Casts:
Now paste in the full edited feed URL from Step 1. and click Subscribe:
If you have any questions don’t hesitate to contact support and we’ll do our best to assist.
Mysterious Universe social media user terms
These user terms apply to your use of Mysterious Universe’s social media websites or facilities. In consideration of your use of Mysterious Universe’s social media or the ability to contribute content to Mysterious Universe’s social media, you agree to be bound by these terms.
1. Contributions of Material
- You are responsible for the content of all material that you contribute to Mysterious Universe social media, including text, images, photos and videos (Material).
- You must ensure that all your Material was created by you and that you own all intellectual property rights in it. You also promise that your Material will not contain anything that is obscene, defamatory, offensive, or otherwise illegal (either in itself or when placed on Mysterious Universe’s social media).
- In addition, you must ensure that your Material:
- does not infringe the intellectual property rights of any person and does not breach any obligations of confidentiality;
- contains no spam or other commercial, advertising, marketing or promotional content or links or information which would facilitate the sale or purchase of products or services;
- contains no personal information or passwords, or the personal details of third parties such as phone numbers, mail or email addresses;
- is not threatening, harassing, spiteful or abusive;
- is not indecent or sexual or pornographic in nature, does not include gratuitous swearing or profanity and does not vilify, insult or humiliate any person or group (including, without limitation, on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, gender, age, sexual orientation or any physical or mental disability);
- contains nothing which is unduly provocative (including, without limitation, flaming, trolling or otherwise hostile content) or which is false, misleading or deceptive; or
- contains no computer viruses or other computer files or code which adversely affects the operation of Mysterious Universe’s computer systems or any equipment linked to them.
- If your Material contains images (either photographs or videos) you must obtain the consent of any person featured or identifiable in the images before contributing that Material to Mysterious Universe’s social media.
When contributing to Mysterious Universe’s social media you must not impersonate any other person. You must not use Mysterious Universe’s social media in a manner which adversely affects the use of enjoyment by any person of Mysterious Universe’s social media.
2. Dealing with your Material
- You will continue to own the intellectual property rights in your Material. You give Mysterious Universe irrevocable permission to use your Material in any way (including changing, adapting, reproducing or communicating your Material to the public) without charge and without any right of attribution to you and to allow others to use it in the same way.
- At any time and in its sole discretion and without notice to you, Mysterious Universe may refuse to include your Material in Mysterious Universe’s social media, remove all or part of your Material from Mysterious Universe’s social media, edit your Material or terminate one or more of Mysterious Universe’s social media or your access to them.
3. Liability relating to social media and your Material
- Inclusion of your Material on Mysterious Universe’s social media does not indicate any approval of your Material by Mysterious Universe, its related bodies corporate, suppliers or commercial partners.
- Mysterious Universe does not endorse, approve or authorise any material (including your Material) on its social media and you acknowledge that the material on Mysterious Universe’s social media may not be accurate, complete, up-to-date or useful and that you should not rely upon it.
- You acknowledge and agree that Mysterious Universe is not responsible for, and does not check the content or accuracy of, any material (including your Material) on Mysterious Universe’s social media. You also agree that to the extent permitted by law Mysterious Universe, its related bodies corporate and contractors will have no liability to you of any kind (including, without limitation, direct and consequential losses) under any circumstances (including, without limitation, negligence) in connection with Mysterious Universe’s social media, your Material or any other material on those social media.
- If you breach these terms or laws relating to your use of Mysterious Universe’s social media or your Material, you will indemnify Mysterious Universe against any third party claims, losses, damages or costs suffered or incurred by Mysterious Universe in connection with your breaches.
- Your use of Mysterious Universe’s social media, and your contribution of Material to them, is at your own risk.
- Mysterious Universe does not represent or warrant that its social media or any of the material on its social media will operate for any minimum period of time, will be free of computer viruses, or have any particular audience, availability, service levels or other characteristics.
- Nothing in these terms limits or excludes any non-excludable rights you may have or non-excludable terms that may be implied under State or Commonwealth laws including the Trade Practices Act 1974 (Cth). These terms will be construed subject to those non-excludable rights and terms.
- Mysterious Universe may vary these terms from time to time. You should check for variations periodically.
- These terms will be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the state of New South Wales, Australia.
Mysterious Universe will delete content that is not in accordance with our social media policy (i.e. is irrelevant, disrespectful, discriminatory or abusive in nature. Dishonorable content such as racial, ethnic, sexual, religious, and physical disability slurs are not tolerated. Mysterious Universe reserves the right to edit or amend any misleading or inaccurate content depicted in posts or comments. Mysterious Universe also reserves the right to delete posts violating the MU Social Media Policy.
Persons commenting on MU Social Media are expected to conform with the following conditions:
- to always treat other people using the social media platforms with respect and courtesy
- not to use the social media channels to defame, libel, insult, abuse, harass, stalk, threaten or attack anyone
- not to post any material that is offensive, obscene, vulgar or violent
- not to post any material that vilifies or discriminates against any particular gender, religion, sexual preference, age, disability, marital or domestic status, race/ethnicity, criminal record or political opinion
- not to post any material that is fraudulent, deceptive or misleading including to not to not impersonate or falsely represent any other person or organisation
- not to post any material that you do not have a legal right to post (for example, material that infringes the copyright or other intellectual property rights of another person or material which is confidential)
- not to post any material that advertises, offers or promotes anything of a commercial nature (for example any material which may breach the Spam Act 2003 (Cth))
- not to post links to other Facebook fan page, business pages, or personal pages.
- not to post any material or encourage any conduct that would constitute a criminal offence or give rise to civil liability or is otherwise illegal or unlawful
- not introduce any virus or other form of malicious code into the social media channels
- not to deliberately disrupt discussions (e.g. trolling)
- not to post irrelevant or excessively long material
- not to post material that identifies matters that are currently the subject of legal proceedings or would break a court’s non-publication order.
Should you violate these terms your post or comments will be deleted. If you break these terms once again you will be banned without warning or explanation. Spam or any material that advertises, offers or promotes anything of a commercial nature will be deleted and the user banned immediately.
If you believe you have been banned unfairly you may contact [email protected] and, on a case by case basis, we may or may not decide to lift your ban.
In these terms:
Mysterious Universe means Mysterious Universe as a subsidiary of 8th Kind Pty Limited ABN 16 142 661 023 and, to the extent applicable, its officers, employees, contracts, related bodies corporate and contractors.
Mysterious Universe’s social media includes any social media websites or facilities established, authorised or operated by or on behalf of Mysterious Universe, including website-based forums created within Facebook or Twitter, blogs and online polls.
First decide on whether you want to give the 6 or 12-month option on the Plus+ subscription page.
You now need to select the whether you’d like this to be a once-off gift, (select Non-recurring) or whether you’d like to keep funding your loved one’s MU addiction for longer (select Auto Renew) and click “Pay with PayPal.” You do not have to have a PayPal account to give a non-recurring gift subscription.
On the next screen you have the option to use a PayPal account if you have one, or if you don’t have a PayPal account, select the option at the very bottom of the window which says “Pay with a credit or debit card” where you can enter your details for a once-off transaction.
Once the PayPal transaction is complete you’ll be returned to the MU site for you to create the actual account for your friend. The username cannot be changed, so make sure you choose something they will remember!
You will receive an email receipt from PayPal (because you paid the money) and the lucky gift recipient will receive an email from Mysterious Universe.
Thanks for sharing the MU love and make sure you get in touch with our support team if you have any [email protected]
Due to the large diversity of Android devices, we cannot guarantee that the MU Android App will work with all of them. As such, there are a number of 3rd party apps that can be used to access MU Plus+ and in our experience we have found DoggCatcher to work reliably.
Accessing MU Plus+ from DoggCatcher on Android
1. Get your MU Plus+ feed address by logging into your account at http://mysteriousuniverse.org and going to your “Dashboard”.
2. Download DoggCatcher from the Google Play Store.
3. Open DoggCather and press the menu button in the upper left hand corner (3 Bars Icon)
4. Press “Subscribe” (Plus Symbol)
5. Swipe the menu at the top to the right and press “Advanced”
6. Press “Feed RSS URL”
7. Enter the MU Plus+ Feed address which you obtained in Step 1.
8. Scroll down and under “Credentials” enter the same username and password you use to access your MU account.
9. There is no need to select or adjust any other settings. Press “OK” at the bottom of the screen. MU Plus+ will then be accessible from the home screen of the DoggCatcher App.
You get the full experience on all of the upcoming episodes as well as easy access to your Plus+ feed and all of our premium content. You will also have ad free access to our upcoming iOS application that is currently available on the Apple iTunes store.
When you first sign up to Plus+ you get access to all the extended episodes of our current active seasons of the Mysterious Universe Podcast & the Mysterious Universe Plus+ podcast.
Plus+ members also get the option to access a higher quality version of the show at 320kbps. The free show is encoded at a VBR rate of around 120kbps.
In the near future we will be adding more content for our Plus+ members including exclusive articles and video content.
If you want to catch up on our back catalogue of episodes you can head over to the Mysterious Universe Store! There you will find all of the previous seasons as well as curated content on specific topics. (Coming soon).
When you first sign up to Plus+ you get access to all the extended episodes of our current active seasons of the Mysterious Universe Podcast & the Mysterious Universe Plus+ podcast.
The new Plus+ is a significant improvement over the previous system. Issues encountered with the previous system have been corrected to greatly improve your user experience.
Access to the back catalogue has been changed to improve fairness to all Plus+ subscribers. Previously a subscriber would be able to sign up and download the entire catalogue for the cost of just one month. This ‘Hit and Run’ is unfair to those who have been existing subscribers for an extended period of time.
To get the best possible experience from Plus+, it is beneficial to sign up to one of the plans offered rather than waiting for the previous seasons to be released for sale in our store. To comply with copyright agreements, the music has been removed from the back catalogue.
Also, to make downloading the back catalogue easier, each season has been packaged into an easily downloadable zip file. *(Coming soon to the store)
The original music has been removed from the back catalogue for copyright reasons.
Veteran Plus+ members will need to log into the new Dashboard and add the new feed to iTunes (or their preferred Podcast app). Your old unique RSS feeds will NOT be updated with new shows and you will need to start using the new feed.
Use your Plus+ username and password when prompted by iTunes (or your preferred Podcast app). Note the username for veteran subscribers is your full email address.
You can now download the MU iOS app!
I’m a veteran Plus+ member but I want to change from a PayPal account to direct to credit card billing.
Direct to Credit card billing is only available on our 6 month and 12 month options.
If you want to change your method of billing from PayPal to credit card, you will have to cancel your veteran subscription by logging into your PayPal account and unsubscribing. Unfortunately if you cancel your veteran Plus+ subscription, your access to the veteran back catalogue will expire.
You can then sign up as a new user, with a 6 month or 12 month membership. This will be processed by PayPal however it doesn’t require an account.
I was a veteran Plus+ subscriber and PayPal cancelled my subscription. Now when I sign back up to Plus+ I don’t have access to the previous back catalogue?
For one reason or another PayPal may cancel your subscription. This can be due to a number of factors including:
Bank-PayPal communication failures
Credit card expiry
Billing information changes
Personal information changes
Internal PayPal communication process failures
Mistaken fraud detection
Unknown PayPal internal procedures
Unfortunately these issue are beyond our control and the cancellation of your account will result in the cessation of your access to the veteran back catalogue. We apologise for any inconvenience caused however the development of the new Plus+ system has been implemented to significantly improve your Plus+ experience.
Please be aware that access to the old Plus+ system will soon be phased out for everyone regardless of their veteran status.
Announcements regarding the discontinuation of veteran access to the back catalogue have been made since July of 2012. We have consistently advised that if you are a veteran subscriber, you must download the back catalogue because when new Plus+ comes online the back catalogue would be phased out.
We offer paypal payments for all of our options. For the 6 month and 1 year payments you can pay with a credit card. PayPal will process the transaction but it doesn’t require you to have a PayPal account.
Paypal is the only option for the ongoing $9 per month payment plan as this allows for easy management of your subscription. With Paypal you can unsubscribe easily though Paypal’s admin interface or through the Plus+ dashboard.
In order to sign up without having a PayPal account, you will still need to select the PayPal option that you will find on the page of the plan you want to subscribe to. Once on the PayPal window, select “Pay with a credit or debit card” (Option in image below). From here you can sign up directly with your credit card or debit card.
We recommend that you do create a PayPal account as it makes managing your subscription a lot easier. You will be able to change your credit card details, billing addresses as well as cancel at any time you like.
You can buy a 6 month or 1 year account without a PayPal account. Simply head to Mysterious Universe Plus+ and click on the 6 month or 1 year option. PayPal will process your credit card payment but doesn’t require you to have a PayPal account.
No. We do not sell any personal information.
Navigate to the Login page and click “Lost your password?”. You will be asked for the email address you signed up with. From there you will receive an email to that address where you can change your password.
To change your email address please email us at [email protected].
That’s ok! You can find all of our feeds on the Plus+ dashboard. You must have a Plus+ membership to access this page.
To download the MP3 through your browser you will need to navigate to the post of the episode you want to download. When you have done this you will see a link at the top of the post that will say “Download Now”. Right click this link and select “Download Linked File” (if in Safari), “Save Link As” (if in Chrome & Firefox). Please note it may have a different option depending on what browser you are using.
In order to access the podcast in iTunes, navigate to your Plus+ dashboard and either copy and paste the RSS feeds into iTunes manually (File>Subscribe to Podcast) or click one of the two buttons with the Apple logo.
You will see this popup in iTunes. This is where you input your username and password. Make sure you click the “Remember password” option as it will keep popping up every time you access the feed if you do not.
Note: You only need to add one of these feeds. One is a high quality feed and the other is standard quality.
In order to access your Plus+ feed on a mobile device you will need to copy the RSS feeds from your Plus+ dashboard into the podcast application of your choice. Once you have done this you will also have to input your username and password if the application allows it. iOS applications such as the MU App, and Android applications such as Doggcatcher, allow for username and password input. Windows Phone users can try out Podcast Lounge which supports authenticated feeds.
You can download the MU iOS app here.
Please note that Apple’s Podcast app does not support authentication and thus will not work with Plus+ feeds.
No. These memberships do not auto renew. The reason for this is that we don’t want to bill you for larger sums of money on a renewing basis. If you would like to express your interest for a six month or one year subscription that does renew, please email us at [email protected] or head over to our contact page.
Paypal may cancel your subscription for many reasons. Some of these include: your main credit card may have expired on your account or your bank details may have changed. If this is the case, please add a new credit card or fix your banking details via the Paypal website and resubscribe to Mysterious Universe.
Unfortunately we are not provided with this information by Paypal so we are not able to assist with the more sensitive aspects of your Paypal account. However, you can access all of this information yourself by heading to your Paypal profile.
If for some reason your Plus+ account has been cancelled, you can resubscribe easily via the same process you used to subscribe. Simply head over to the Mysterious Universe Plus+ Page and select a payment plan.
Once you have gone through the payment process, you will be redirected to the registration form. Once on this page you will see two options at the top of the page.
Please fill in the form for existing members and you will then be prompted to log in. Use your usual log in details and you will now be resubscribed!
To change your billing details through Paypal you will need to login to your Paypal subscription to Plus+ and navigate to the Pre-approved payments page. From here you can change your Credit Card details.
If you are a “Veteran” subscriber, you will be able to access the old system for a limited amount of time. Please head to http://plus.mysteriousuniverse.org/ and sign in with the details you used to sign up.
To access your membership simply navigate to http://mysteriousuniverse.org/plus or click the login link at the top of this page. You will be taken to a page that will ask for your user name and password. From there you will be sent to the “Dashboard” where you can access all of your Plus+ content.
A comprehensive list of all books discussed on the show is available from the following link:
All MU episodes fall into a selected season. In the middle and the end of a season the hosts and producers of the show will take a scheduled break. These breaks will be pre-announced in the show.
You can use your Plus+ Podcast RSS feeds on as many computers and devices as you like!
All Plus+ members are provided with a username and password which allows direct download of the current season of Plus+ content.
Season lengths will be 24 episodes but this is number subject to change. We are currently trialling stand-in co-hosts for when one of the regular hosts takes a break. All of our Plus+ members will be notified of any major changes/disruptions or announcements via email. Additionally you can view updates by following the official Mysterious Universe twitter feed @mysteriousuniv
We have a 100% Money Back Guarantee if you cancel your subscription within 7 days of signing up. If you are not satisfied with your Plus+ Membership we’ll give you your money back, here’s what you need to do:
- Cancel Your Subscription
- Get your PayPal receipt number, your PayPal email address and the date of purchase;
- Send a Support Ticket including this information as well as your member name, full name and postal address to our Support Desk ([email protected])
- Include one way we can improve the Plus Membership service
And we’ll issue a 100% refund within 7 working days of receipt of your request.
MU Store Purchases
If you receive a product that is defective or faulty we will replace the item. This applies to both digital and physical items.
If you make a digital purchase by mistake and have not downloaded the content we will issue you with a refund. All digital purchases that have been downloaded are not eligible for a refund. If the file is corrupt or you experience issues while downloading, we will issue you with a new download code.
Should you experience an issue with your purchase, please email [email protected]
Once you have signed up you can head over to your dashboard. You will see a generic feed address on this page. Once you input this feed into your RSS reader (or iTunes) you will be asked for a username and password. This will be the username and password you used to sign up for Plus+. After inputting both your username and password your feed will start downloading as normal!
Please check the FAQ’s first, if that doesn’t answer your questions please send an email to [email protected] and you will receive a response within 48 hours.
No, your Plus+ membership provides you with with a RSS feed which gives you complete access to all current seasons published by Mysterious Universe. You can log into Plus+ and go back through the current season and download the files directly from the show notes page.
You can access your account and all the Mysterious Universe Plus+ content via mysteriousuniverse.org/plus.
You can cancel your Plus+ Membership via your Paypal account. If you would like to cancel your Plus+ subscription via PayPal, log into your PayPal account and go to the “History” subtab of the ‘My Account’ tab. Click on “More Filters” and select “Subscriptions and Agreements” and then “Subscriptions”. Find “Mysterious Universe” in the list then click “Details”.
You will be taken to a Transaction Details page from which you may cancel your subscription.
You can also unsubscribe via a button on your Plus+ dashboard.
Please note that canceling your subscription will immediately stop all future scheduled payments for this subscription and stop access to all Plus+ content.
Please be aware, if you cancel your subscription within 24 hours of a new billing cycle you will be charged for the entire new month and your subscription will end on the next billing cycle.
When you sign up to Mysterious Universe Plus+ you will receive a welcome email containing your login details. Should you not get this email, please contact [email protected] after checking the email hasn’t been caught in your spam filter. Please include the email address you used to sign up with and and we will resend your welcome email. Also, please check the email address associated with your Paypal account, as the welcome email may have been sent there.
Once you have signed up you will be able to view your Plus+ dashboard which will allow you access to your feed and previous episodes in the current season of Plus+.
When you sign up to Mysterious Universe Plus+ you will receive a welcome email containing your login details and RSS feed. Should you not get this email, please contact [email protected] after checking the email hasn’t been caught in your spam filter. Please include the email address you used to sign up with and and we will resend your welcome email. Also, please check the email address associated with your Paypal account, as the welcome email may have been sent there.
Click here to see all the benefits of becoming a Mysterious Universe Plus+ member. After checkout through Paypal, you will be redirected back to the site to fill out your details. Once you have done this you will receive a confirmation email and you will be able to log in and access your new Plus+ account!
Please note that direct to credit card billing is only available for 6 month or 1 year block purchases of Plus+ and are NOT recurring payments. PayPal processes your credit card payment but doesn’t require you to have a PayPal account.